Preventing Food Waste Ideas

27 watchers
Dec 2016
12:34pm, 28 Dec 2016
11,702 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Last month I found at the bottom of the chest freezer a tub of blackcurrants (from our garden) marked "2010, Unwashed"!!

They tasted great in smoothies and pie. :-)
Jan 2017
8:56pm, 3 Jan 2017
19,691 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Do folks on here know about prolonging the life of your veg in the fridge?

If it's got a stem; eg cauli, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage; cut a cross in the stem and place it in water to stay fresh and hydrated.
Jan 2017
9:34pm, 3 Jan 2017
4,750 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I usually take mine out of the plastic if fully wrapped so I doesn't go yellow. If there's too much broccoli or cauli I freeze it.
Jan 2017
10:54pm, 3 Jan 2017
10,741 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Nothing last long enough to go off in my house.

And we do grow a lot so that just needs picking as and when.
Jan 2017
12:19am, 4 Jan 2017
105 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
This is a brilliant thread, thanks! I always keep even the tiniest bit of leftovers, rinse out jars into things and try to minimise food waste.

Not quite food, but I usually get a few more days or a week out of a tube of toothpaste after it is "finished" but cutting the tube open to get out every last bit. Does anyone else do that?
Jan 2017
7:26am, 4 Jan 2017
3,629 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
I've just read a magazine article that recommends roasting loads of veg at the weekend to be used throughout the week in packed lunches, soups, evening meals etc. Although I can see the benefit in it by having the basis for most of my weekly meals, my first thought is will it keep? Am I being a bit soft in thinking that I wouldn't normally keep cooked food that long?
Jan 2017
7:53am, 4 Jan 2017
4,752 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I find I have gone off the idea if the same tastes keep turning up every day. Roasted veg keeps several days, but will you want to eat it, or would you rather have made something else with the individual items?
Jan 2017
8:10am, 4 Jan 2017
3,630 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
The suggestion was to use a wide variety of veg and add seasonings & sauces at each meal whether you make soup, salad, curry, etc, etc rather than simply eat them as an accompaniment all the time. My concern is about ownlong is the several days that it would keep for and whether I'd cook too much in one go.
Jan 2017
8:50am, 4 Jan 2017
4,753 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Still sounds like you have to do cooking! How long stuff lasts in your fridge depends on the temperature of your fridge. Optimum temp in the UK is 5 degrees https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns-0/germwatch/science-fsw/fridge-temperatures, other countries differ cooking.stackexchange.com - useful stuff on there that says that food at 5 degrees can last about a week.

Check them temp on the shelf you want to use to store the stuff would be my advice.
Jan 2017
8:59am, 4 Jan 2017
35,212 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Roast veg doesn't keep in our house. It's one of those things that everyone dips into until it's gone, including eating it cold for breakfast. But it would probably only need to sit in a box in the fridge for a couple of days going soggy and with the flavours merging for me to think, "Nah, I'd rather have a freshly-made bowl of Shreddies for my dinner."

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
A thread for tips and ideas on how to save food waste.

Whether you're concerned about the enviro...