Preston Guild 2012 Race Series - 5k, 10k, 10M & Half/Full Marathon

12 watchers
Sep 2012
5:38pm, 3 Sep 2012
16 posts
  •  
Cammy
Finally got round to entering for the marathon, got GNR coming up and training to date is going well.

Any idea what the deal is with an expo...times etc?
Sep 2012
8:25pm, 23 Sep 2012
5,418 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
So, a week to the second race of the series. Has anyone received any details for it? I tried to email a while back to change my address, but only the guy dealing with the Marathon responded...
Sep 2012
10:15pm, 30 Sep 2012
59 posts
  •  
longwayround
The last two kilometres of the 10k were extremely hard but I got a PB!
Oct 2012
1:38pm, 13 Oct 2012
18 posts
  •  
Cammy
Informative race pack and helpful to know the undulations, seems like the first 8 miles or so going to be about sensible pacing.
Hope everyone has enjoyed good training up till now and taper mode which I never enjoy, hoping that race day brings me a new PB under 3:27.
Oct 2012
1:50pm, 13 Oct 2012
5,540 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
I agree Cammy, I was going to visit my mum next weekend to cycle the route to get a feel for the hills, but now feel confident I can just turn up and run. Especially happy to hear that the hill by Danger Bridge is described as the worse climb - that's right by my childhood home so it holds no fear :) Still confident for sub-3, crossing fingers for decent weather conditions!
Oct 2012
5:20pm, 26 Oct 2012
19 posts
  •  
Cammy
Good luck to all running on Sunday, hope you achieve your marathon goal!!
Oct 2012
5:40pm, 28 Oct 2012
183 posts
  •  
buzby123
So we ran we conquered in horrible rain and cold. Happy with my watch time massive 5 minute pb on a 13.4 mile course. Did anyone else find the course long?
Oct 2012
5:53pm, 28 Oct 2012
638 posts
  •  
Ultra SmileyBob
Had it at 13.31 myself havent heard it be shorter for anyone else yet!
Oct 2012
10:10pm, 28 Oct 2012
184 posts
  •  
buzby123
Here's the explanation by the race organisers, I appreciate their honesty and so true better to be long than short when it would count for nothing. Oh well, better book another one then .....................

It seems a lot of you are reporting longer distances for the half marathon.

The turn between 8 and 9 appears to be further along the road than I measured it.

I checked the turn points for both races at 6.30 this morning and there was a clear mark for the half maarathon turn. So the race organiser and I are at a loss as to how the turn was put in much further than was measured.

The race organiser and myself are frustrated by this, as indeed some of you will be.

I wish I'd found some way of getting to that turn point after the roads had been closed so I could do a final check. I wish, as an alternative, that I'd asked for a photo to be sent by text to my phone so I could confirm it.

You can decide for yourselves whether the following comments are any consolation:

Times for PowerofTen will not be affected because it's long rather than short.

If you narrowly missed a target time you know you are in the right shape to get it.

If you ran a PB you know you can go even faster.

I saw no point prolonging this debate/rumour so you've got it from the man who measured the course and refereed today. It's happened; it shouldn't have happened but it has.

I hope you will be good enough to accept my explanation and move on to talk about the many excellent things about today's race
Oct 2012
10:52pm, 28 Oct 2012
5,645 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Had a bit of a bad day at the office, including a bit of a cry on my mums shoulder by Tulketh Brow, and limped home in 3:13:29 - a good time, but nowhere near what I was pacing and once again showing my inability to race marathons...

But I was very, very impressed with the organisation. Apart from the steps to the changing rooms afterwards! A good, if disheartening day...

About This Thread

Maintained by CottamRunner
To celebrate the Preston Guild - a once every 20 years event - 4 races have been scheduled / allocat...