Predict the General Election Result

13 watchers
Jun 2017
7:29am, 9 Jun 2017
4,549 posts
  •  
postieboy
I gave up at 3 and had only 4 hours sleep. It's going to be a long day!

Disappointed but not surprised to see my Tory MP consolidated his position with an increased majority. The Lib Dems campaigned the hardest in my area and finished fourth behind the independent candidate to their embarrassment and humiliation.

Loving the fall out from last night. It's helped me wake up a bit!
Jun 2017
8:07am, 9 Jun 2017
7,978 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I went to bed at half 3 and have also had 4 hours sleep but it was the most exciting election night since 1997! My seat went from snp to tory but the Labour guy I voted for went from finishing 4th to 3rd.
Jun 2017
8:14am, 9 Jun 2017
4,550 posts
  •  
postieboy
Waiting for AndrewS to appear for a gloat, he's the only one on here who called it! :)
Jun 2017
8:17am, 9 Jun 2017
29,415 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Glad to say I got it wayyyyyyyyy wrong. I thought there were lots fewer 'shy tories' than I thought.

UKIP vote collapsed in Reigate. Blunt the Shunt still erected with 30,000 votes but Labour were in second with 13,000. That's not bad in the stockbroker belt.
Jun 2017
8:22am, 9 Jun 2017
11,606 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Yes, Andrew. Though Wriggles was quite close.
Jun 2017
11:49am, 9 Jun 2017
5,061 posts
  •  
sallykate
I stayed up till 5.10am and then up again at 7 - surely the polls were WAY off, worse than in 2015?

McG is your MP the Blunt that said the electorate had got it wrong? If he doesn't understand the basic tenets of our democracy I'm not sure he's very well qualified for the job...
Jun 2017
11:53am, 9 Jun 2017
29,422 posts
  •  
McGoohan
He is that very Cooking Blunt.

Maybe he has a point - he could probably stand there punching old Reigatians in the face while stamping on kittens - and they'd vote him in again and again. He actually increased his share of the vote by 0.6%
Jun 2017
12:07pm, 9 Jun 2017
5,485 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
I got hung parliament right......do I win £5...??

Disappointed but not surprised my Tory MP got back in. That said, he did give us a tour around the Houses of Parliament, and bought us a beer in the Strangers Bar (on expenses), and seemed a decent bloke.

Still didn't vote for him though.....:)
Jun 2017
12:18pm, 9 Jun 2017
2,760 posts
  •  
Evangel
Well Wales has gone back towards its Labour roots, with their share of the vote overall in excess of 50%.

The verdict of the electorate was "Pride goeth before a fall". One grave mistake our PM made was to take the electorate for granted. She gave the impression that the General Election would be just a formality. She also came over as being arrogant, as she ridiculed Jeremy Corbyn, but he didn't follow suit - he concentrated on policies, which resonated well with the electorate after 7 years of austerity. This result will have humbled Theresa May a little, and she probably knows that working with the DUP can be like drinking from a poisoned chalice.
Jun 2017
12:25pm, 9 Jun 2017
11,184 posts
  •  
Chrisull
YouGov and Survation models /polls were spot on. They were roundly ridiculed at the time.

About This Thread

Maintained by GeneHunt59
Predict/guess the General Election result & majority.