Pratcheteers

12 watchers
Jan 2016
10:00pm, 27 Jan 2016
1,471 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I have the illustrated Eric - if it's not one of those in Elsie's 'lift' ;-) you're welcome to borrow it. I have a diary as well, I think. And the science of discworld books. And and . . .
Jan 2016
10:29pm, 27 Jan 2016
7,454 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I think Eric was the most disappointing of ll the books
Jan 2016
11:20pm, 27 Jan 2016
21,187 posts
  •  
McGoohan
(Must confess, I haven't read it yet. I have a non-picture version.)
Jan 2016
6:36am, 28 Jan 2016
1,632 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Fizz, did I not show you the lift when you came here?!

I don't think I have illustrated Eric.

What about Truckers, Diggers and Wings? Would he be too old for them?
Jan 2016
9:39am, 28 Jan 2016
4,115 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
I'd suggest when you're too old for a Pratchett book you're too old for life

Guards Guards very funny, a million to one shot but might just work.

I'm encouraging the bairn to start at the beggining with the light fantastic, he's addicted to Phillip Reeve at the moment.
Jan 2016
10:18am, 28 Jan 2016
4,960 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Been said before but the Truckers/Diggers/Wings trilogy is pretty great. I think he would be OK with parts of it at the very least, maybe more.

Just finished Long Earth, which he was co-author of. Interesting concept but prefer the straight out Discworld ones. Think it would be too "old" for your son though.
Jan 2016
10:40am, 28 Jan 2016
7,455 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Oh, whilst I remember - I started with the Bromeliad Triology (Truckers etc) when I was (much) younger. I then read the Carpet People - which is a great story. One that many people overlook.
Jan 2016
10:41am, 28 Jan 2016
3,608 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I recently read the Long Earth too. I love the idea and thought the whole set up was really well explained, but didn't enjoy the long journey and the hyper intelligent Lobsang so much.

I felt that I could detect which bits were Pratchett and which weren't. I may be wrong of course. But in comparison with Good Omens, which he co-authored with Neil Gaiman, it's a much less successful blend in my view.
Jan 2016
10:56am, 28 Jan 2016
21,195 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Haven't read it, but my missus did - she was very disappointed because it just wasn't funny. The Discworld books and the Gaiman collaboration are all *funny*. That's what you want from a Pratchett isn't it?
Jan 2016
11:02am, 28 Jan 2016
4,961 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I found parts of it funny, but they were much more side comments and such, whereas the Discworld books have humour pretty much as the core. Sort of.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I'm reading Mort to my boy at the moment - it's his first experience of Discworld. He's particula...