Pratcheteers

12 watchers
Jan 2016
9:29am, 27 Jan 2016
16,956 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I'm reading Mort to my boy at the moment - it's his first experience of Discworld. He's particularly enjoys it when Death says OH BUGGER, and the analogy about something having as much life as a dead dog on a termite mound.

Any recommendations on where to go next?
Jan 2016
9:36am, 27 Jan 2016
869 posts
  •  
DiscoSteve
I think the earlier ones have more out and out humour that might appeal to your son. Would suggest starting at the beginning and reading The Colour of Magic and then The Light Fantastic which follows straight on, if only for an introduction to The Luggage.
Jan 2016
9:36am, 27 Jan 2016
3,606 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Great start to Discworld :-) You could follow on with the Death series - Reaper Man and Soul Music being the next to continue the story of Death, Mort, Ysabell, Albert and Binky etc

Or maybe go to the City Watch series, starting with Guards, Guards. There are dragons in that one.
Jan 2016
9:57am, 27 Jan 2016
16,957 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Ooh, thanks folks. I will pass on the suggestions (or get him to read this thread) and see what he fancies.
Jan 2016
10:28am, 27 Jan 2016
39 posts
  •  
Adorescience
I have lots of those Fetch if you want to borrow? I think I have every Pratchet book. I agree with the scribbler - follow a theme when you read them.

Amelia also got the audio book for The Wee Free Men for Christmas (a kiddy discworld book with evil elves in it) which is good to read as part of the witches set (Wyrd Sisters/ Witches Abroad/ Lords and Ladies etc.)

The kids witches books go in this order:

The Wee Free Men/ A Hat full of sky/ Wintersmith/ I shall wear midnight/ The Shepherd's crown.
Jan 2016
10:29am, 27 Jan 2016
40 posts
  •  
Adorescience
(you can include Equal Rites in the Witches books, but I think Wyrd Sisters is a better one to start with - think of a comedy version of Macbeth)
Jan 2016
10:31am, 27 Jan 2016
975 posts
  •  
Weean
There are some (Wee Free Men & Hatful of Sky amongst others) that are specifically aimed at 'younger readers', which I read successfully to my then 9- and 4-year olds. Now I think about it, isn't Mort one of those?
Jan 2016
10:39am, 27 Jan 2016
42 posts
  •  
Adorescience
Mort is an original one, not a young one. But it is one of my favourites :-)
Jan 2016
10:45am, 27 Jan 2016
475 posts
  •  
Vitruvian Cat
The Guards are my fave series. There's also his books for younger readers that aren't Discworld like Only You Can Save Mankind, The Bromeliad Trilogy of Truckers/Diggers/Wings and The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (which is Discworld)
Jan 2016
10:56am, 27 Jan 2016
476 posts
  •  
Vitruvian Cat
Hehehe, you've had just about everything he's ever written recommended now, 😃. If you want to watch some of Pratchet's stuff (after reading, the books are much better in my opinion)Sky made mini series of The Hogfather, The Colour Of Magic and Going Postal, which are available on DVD.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I'm reading Mort to my boy at the moment - it's his first experience of Discworld. He's particula...