Power of Attorney to collect a race number?

2 watchers
Sep 2016
9:45am, 7 Sep 2016
5,087 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
TGEd and Daughter are off to Disney (Paris) in a couple of weeks for a break and some running.

One of Daughter's friends is running the 5k with her but can't get there in time to pick up the race pack, so she's asked Daughter to do this for her. According to the Disney rules, Daughter needs to produce a Power of Attorney in order to pick up the pack.

I've heard of letters of authorisation (Brighton marathon ask for this), and signed doctor's letters (abroad), but never a PoA.

Is this common? If so, can they just print something off of t'internet (there are General PoA blank forms easily available), or do they need to get a solicitor to witness/sign it?
Sep 2016
9:53am, 7 Sep 2016
3,790 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Paula - I think there may be some confusion. Asking for a PoA is a bit excessive to collect a race number, as a PoA gives someone control over all the other person's affairs, such as running their bank accounts.
Sep 2016
9:55am, 7 Sep 2016
27,729 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Do they just mean permission letter?
Sep 2016
9:56am, 7 Sep 2016
5,088 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I know, that's what I thought, but it clearly states it in the instructions (she sent them to me last night when I queried it).

"To collect a runner's kit on behalf of someone else, you must show your valid photo ID and the valid ID of the person you are picking the runner's kit for. You will need to bring the original printed voucher, as well as a power of attorney signed by the runner. It is mandatory that this power attorney signed by the runner [sic]. It is mandatory that this power attorney show's your first and last name, plus the other person first and last name. All documents, except your ID, will be retained by the organization and must be signed by the person picking up the kit."
Sep 2016
9:56am, 7 Sep 2016
1,521 posts
  •  
Zorba
Typically French administrative nightmare !
Sep 2016
9:57am, 7 Sep 2016
5,089 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I'm thinking this is a case of lost in translation, surely?
Sep 2016
9:58am, 7 Sep 2016
878 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
Sounds to me as if they are asking for a signed letter of permission.
Sep 2016
10:00am, 7 Sep 2016
27,730 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Just put letter of attorney into google translate - Fr = procuration, put that back into Google and got proxy - it probably means a letter of proxy
Sep 2016
10:28am, 7 Sep 2016
8,893 posts
  •  
Seratonin
I agree with your last comment Paula - sounds like a translation issue.
Sep 2016
11:01am, 7 Sep 2016
12,132 posts
  •  
mulbs
out of sight out of mind = invisible idiots

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by PaulaMc
TGEd and Daughter are off to Disney (Paris) in a couple of weeks for a break and some running.