Potential Adverse Cardiovascular Effects From Excessive Endurance Exercise

2 watchers
Jun 2012
9:30am, 7 Jun 2012
1,530 posts
  •  
Mykey
or as the Press (and my mother) would put it "Marathon running damages the heart!"

Tis came out over the weekend but I can't see another discussion on it:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(12)00473-9/abstract

The paper discusses that while exercise is good for you too much of a good thing can be bad and that there may be an upper limit for the amount of exercise a person can do safely.

Thoughts?
Jun 2012
8:33pm, 7 Jun 2012
1,532 posts
  •  
Mykey
Maybe I should have gone with the newspapers version of events to drum up some interest.
Jun 2012
9:40pm, 7 Jun 2012
1,047 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
You might be interested in Canute's blog..? He has several articles filed under heart physiology. I'll put a link to his very recent look at the autopsy report of ultra runner Micah True.

canute1.wordpress.com

Hopefully there is a happy compromise of enjoying running and all it's benefits, but still being vigilant.
Jun 2012
10:08pm, 7 Jun 2012
17,524 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There was a lot of "some people" and "may cause". Also lots of generally good etc. So sounds like an area of possible interesting very low incidence anomalies for a sub group. but for 99.9%, it's still do more exercise cos it's good for you. imho! :-)G
Jun 2012
10:11pm, 7 Jun 2012
490 posts
  •  
GerryO
Both of those links are interesting reading, thanks.
Jun 2012
10:32pm, 7 Jun 2012
1,533 posts
  •  
Mykey
G-they are just putting some thoughts out there in order to give some folks research ideas and maybe to aquire some funding themselves for futher research hence the lots of "mays" and "some". Still it raises some interesting questions - maybe all this marathon training isn't good for us and there is an upper limit. I'd be interested in knowing if there were genetic markers that identified those that are more suspetible to permenant scarring or is it more to do with environmental fatcors such as how they train for their marathons, ironman etc?
Jun 2012
10:45pm, 7 Jun 2012
27,204 posts
  •  
Foxy Davy
I'd rather kill myself doing something i love than have a heart attack from eating shit & doing nothing.

Life is temporary do what makes you happy :)
Jun 2012
10:49pm, 7 Jun 2012
101 posts
  •  
Mickster n Philster
here here Mr Foxy

Mykey
nice thread BTW - just unsure quite what to reply - but with everything i've done over the years, far more than what i've done with Phil- ive no regrets
Jun 2012
10:55pm, 7 Jun 2012
5,322 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Sigh, is the three weeks up already since the last time this came up? Do I really have to post the usual responses to this one Hippo or will you do it?
Oh all right then, you wouldn't believe how bored I am with this now

bmj.com Running a Marathon is safer than driving
ajs.sagepub.com Conclusion: Participation in marathons has increased without any change in mortality or average overall performance from 2000 to 2009.

What happens next normally is that people contend that yes there aren't any more deaths when you examine the subject properly but this is being a spoilsport and ruining their gloom and doom and anyway they can believe that it damages the heart in some unquantifiable way that are much more important than dying.
Jun 2012
10:57pm, 7 Jun 2012
21,513 posts
  •  
Nellers
I started running because I thought it was good for me. I still think it's good for me but it's no longer why I run.

Interesting research is always......well, interesting but it only addresses certain specific issues and concerns. It's not easy to judge the benefot per mile run across health, happiness, increased productivity etc.

If running turns out to be bad for me (and I doubt it will but hypothetically) I think I'd still run.

Live fast, die old.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mykey
or as the Press (and my mother) would put it "Marathon running damages the heart!"
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(12)00473-9/abstract