Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction (PTTD) experience anyone???

1 watcher
Jul 2011
5:15pm, 31 Jul 2011
391 posts
  •  
FurryFeet
After two weeks of being convinced I was off the PF injury bench, I have a new pain to deal with.
My right foot - which has been bomb proof for a year has developed a pain below the inside of the foot below the ankle bone.
It could of course be PF, but the pain appears to be above where I would expect the plantar to be (though I'm no biologist).

I have no tightness - which was the original cause of PF.
The discomfort is not particularly worse first thing in the morning, and stretching the Plantar doesn't have the usual discomfort.

The other bit of evidence is that a the is noticably worse if I tip the foot outwards.
I'm suspecting PTTD - rather the PF - not sure if this is better or worse.

Has anyone battled this ailment (and won)?
Jul 2011
9:39pm, 31 Jul 2011
57 posts
  •  
Milou
Yes - but only by changing my running style (from heel strike to forefoot - well my attempt at POSE) and going to more minimal footwear. All the best with PTTD - it's a complete pain....
Aug 2011
10:44am, 1 Aug 2011
392 posts
  •  
FurryFeet
Thanks Milou
Was more PF like this morning :-), I am going to have to cross train this week (at least) me thinks :-(
I had intended my second marathon in Oct - this is now looking like it's at risk :-( - at least in terms of going for a PB.
Aug 2011
2:38pm, 1 Aug 2011
20,605 posts
  •  
cabletow
seems like you need a diagnosis

to get one see a sports dr or Physio

We can help if you post a pic with you pointing to the tender spot
Aug 2011
10:01pm, 1 Aug 2011
394 posts
  •  
FurryFeet
Thanks cabletow.

Does this provide an insight?
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/gallery-showphoto.php?filename=38162_45356.jpg

Note: pushing on the base of the foot doesn't hurt at all.
Pushing in laterally at the point of the pen tip is quite uncomfortable.
Plus I've get more pain at that point when I push of sideways, or my foot tips outwards - which leads me to suspect PTTD,plus feels to high to PF.

In fact this evening there is hardly any pain. I have to stand on one foot and rise on to my toes - at this point I feel pain at the point pointed to.
Having said that there felt like quite a lot of inflammation this morning and running would have been out of the question, had I been silly enough to attempt a run today.

Agreed, should see a phys - though could be a challenge for the next couple of weeks.

Thoughts?
Aug 2011
2:53pm, 2 Aug 2011
20,606 posts
  •  
cabletow
That is the outer fibres of your PF rather than the PTT nd as it hurts when you load the PF - (standing on tip toes will load PF more than PTT) it points to PF. Although painful it is not serious there.
Aug 2011
2:59pm, 2 Aug 2011
397 posts
  •  
FurryFeet
Thanks cabletow - I know the PF routine and should be able to self manage that now.
I guess in many ways the better the devil you know. Hopefully, the new shoes will also help.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by FurryFeet
After two weeks of being convinced I was off the PF injury bench, I have a new pain to deal with.
M...