Post pneumonia comeback... would love some help!

1 watcher
Apr 2011
8:41pm, 21 Apr 2011
4,615 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer of Beartown♣
Back from first (very slow!) comeback run.

Plenty of rest now!
Apr 2011
8:43pm, 21 Apr 2011
32,901 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
how was it
:)
Apr 2011
9:01pm, 21 Apr 2011
4,616 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer of Beartown♣
Bloody lovely! Sunshine, countryside...

I did have to stop when I coughed quite a but but felt well after the "clearout".

After that it was jog/walk home
Apr 2011
9:16pm, 21 Apr 2011
32,903 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
:)
Jun 2011
7:47pm, 25 Jun 2011
4,752 posts
  •  
BelleVueRacer of Beartown
Hmm... First race back I finished in the 59th percentile. 2nd race in same series (against same runners) in 65th percentile. 3rd race 69th percentile.

Perhaps I need to rest.
Aug 2011
5:49pm, 22 Aug 2011
4,814 posts
  •  
Sorry to have to booing this thread but am getting very (hopefully overly) worried now.

Basically, after retur ing to work, I did Ok but started getting exhausted again.

I ended up having two days off with tonsillitis, not a big problem but tiredness that accompanied it seems to have lingered on. I though this was due to workload so waited for summer hols (6 weeks as I'm a teacher)

During hols I've been feeling exhausted and my times in races have gotten slower in general, inran faster in 2007 when I was still a smoker and new to running. Also, I feel very sleepy for two or more days after exercise. Is last coup,e of days I've spent half asleep despite sleeping in (11pm - 10am) and having long afternoon naps- I'm in my fifth week off work, more tired than before.

Also, lots of unexplained weight gain - 1 stone since left hops in March. Dieiting, running and 3 visits to gym a week having no impact.

I got blood tests for under active thyroid, diabetes, anemia etc.... And and seeing my pneumonia consultant tomorrow (work made me cance previous appointment).

Any suggestions as to what I should ask him? I'm very worried about my health and what this may do to my ability to do my job in September.
Aug 2011
7:48pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,334 posts
  •  
P.E...
BVR sounds similar to what I had struggled with which is Post Viral Fatigue. It's taken me nearly six months to feel 'right' again. Might be worth having a quick look on the net but basically you just have to give it time :-(
Aug 2011
8:30pm, 22 Aug 2011
4,815 posts
  •  
Cheers PE, it's been almost six months and there gas been a huge decline in energy despite nit working for a month, which is raising my alarms. Working 7am - 6.30pm plus taking work home just doesn't seem possible if I can't cope with no work at moment.
Aug 2011
8:41pm, 22 Aug 2011
9,012 posts
  •  
HellsBells
sometimes it's not until we fully stop - ie the 6 week summer break - that the body is actually able to show what it needs
Whilst still at work, the adrenaline and other stress hormones keep you going, then once you stop it's like slamming into a brick wall
Not read back - how long were you off both work and training with the original pneumonia? It may well be that you simply haven't had an opportunity for sufficient rest
Aug 2011
8:54pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,335 posts
  •  
P.E...
Sounds familar, i'd go to bed at 8pm and sleep through to the next morning. I'd struggle to get through work, I put on weight. Running was horrible, i'd be ok one day and the next I would have strange aches and stuff or be strangely tired or something. Horrible, horrible time

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
A month ago, 2 days after my first marathon for 3 years, I came down with pneumonia. After coughing ...