Post pneumonia comeback... would love some help!

1 watcher
Apr 2011
6:36pm, 5 Apr 2011
4,570 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer of Beartown♣
A month ago, 2 days after my first marathon for 3 years, I came down with pneumonia. After coughing up half a cup full of blood and sweating like a pig I was sent to hospital where I stayed for 6 days as it was "a particularly nasty attack". I've had 3 weeks off work since and have been alarmed at how lethargic I have become. For the first time in 4 years I have had no desire to go for a run whatsoever. The desire is starting to creep back in now. Thank God.

I restart work on Thursday and want to get running as soon as possible. I'm sick and tired of well meaning but ill informed folk telling me that running a marathon is the reason for my dose of pneumonia. Utter nonsense. The same folk are telling me to lay off running for a while longer, that it will bring on lung infections and put me back in hopsital. This is all, of course, nonsense. I will run nowhere near as fast as I have been, I will be knackered after 3 miles at a slower pace, but no health professional has told me to not run. They all said have two more weeks off. I've had 3.

What I have not had is guidance on not overdoing it. So I'm after some advice from those runners who have had pneumonia, and any health professionals who are familiar with this, or similar situations. I have a bad habit of overdoing it when I come back from running injuries, so I will need a plan that I can stick to.

Aim 1 -Just enjoy runnig - leave my Garmin at home and sod the pace. Just run and enjoy the movement and scenery. My training partenr will be my dog, who is also coming back from a nasty lung disease.

Aim 2 - "Race" 10 miles on May 22nd. This might not be possible but remember, I ran a marathon (sub 4) a month ago so the mileage is in the legs, if not the tank.

Aim 3 - Gradually build up endurance base. Pace will not be an issue.

Aim 4 - Be ready to build some speed into my training in August. Cross country season starts in September.

Aim 5 (Pipedream 1) - Snowdonia Marathon in October? Yup, pipe dream, especially when I want to PB.

One thing I have to do is respect this disease and is residual effects. Some doom merchants have told me my lungs wont be the same for up to two years and that I will need to be careful.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Apr 2011
6:41pm, 5 Apr 2011
32,648 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
erm, the marathon may well have contributed, its well documented that they can totally feck your immune system, so sorry but some of this is correct

Please dont undereestimate pneumonia.If you as a healthy peep neeeded 6 dyas in hozzie, then you were bad

So, you have had four weeks off in total, is that right?

Your plan sounds very sensible
I wouldnt go with the 2 year thing at all, but it might well take you a good 2-3 months to get your lungs back to normal(thats cos you are a runner, and expect more of them)

I am assuming here that you have no pre existing lung disease, and that you are otherwise healthy
Apr 2011
6:44pm, 5 Apr 2011
32,649 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Good luck
Dont see why you cant do snowdon, though its hardly a pb course
LOL
Apr 2011
7:00pm, 5 Apr 2011
20,351 posts
  •  
cabletow
Risks depend on organism. If bacterial then a) have they satisfied themselves as to why you got it - ie any immuno compromise? And b) any residua damage done - eg Klebsiella can cause cavitation.
If viral then have you cleared the virus?

In general - no running 6 weeks. Low and slow mileage for at least 6 weeks and 6 months before your next Mara - sorry but oxygen transfer will be affected and energy management will lead to fatigue.
Apr 2011
7:00pm, 5 Apr 2011
7,702 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Two years seems unduly pessimistic. Some people do develop significant fibrotic lung disease after pneumonia, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

As long as you recognise that you are likely to be a lot more short of breath than normal, and that you will be bringing up chunks of fruity sputum for quite a while, I don't see why you can't start gently back.
Apr 2011
7:03pm, 5 Apr 2011
32,653 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
the "six week" rule is usually the time to the next out patient appointment and follow up X ray though isnt it:)
Apr 2011
7:19pm, 5 Apr 2011
20,352 posts
  •  
cabletow
@ph Yes but also it is myocardial recovery time - not sure if that is evidence based or just old sports med rule but itis what we was taught
Apr 2011
7:23pm, 5 Apr 2011
32,654 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Six weeks does seem to be a mythical medical figure for lots of things.Or multiples of six :)
:)

Seriously, IF you can truly listen to your body(which is difficult for runners who are used to pushing themselves-i mean, it aint natural to run a marathon,is it) then you wont go far wrong
Apr 2011
7:24pm, 5 Apr 2011
7,703 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would support 6 weeeks for cardiomyopathy from a bacterial pneumonia, though unless you had a significant SIRS response manifested by being generally a lot more unwell (the kind of difference between a cold and the flu) then it may not be as much of an issue.

Often unrecognised as not that many people want to go out and run after this kind of illness.

If it was a viral pneumonia then myocarditis could be significant.
Apr 2011
7:34pm, 5 Apr 2011
1,765 posts
  •  
360°
2 guys at the club have had pneumonia in the last couple of years. Both were back running at their previous ability within 6 months, with one carrying on with marathons - and this from a 50 year old. From what the docs here have said though, it sounds like they were lucky (and a bit stupid).

If ever the phrase 'listen to your body' applied, then it's now.

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
A month ago, 2 days after my first marathon for 3 years, I came down with pneumonia. After coughing ...