Post exercise hypothermia

2 watchers
Apr 2013
10:02am, 10 Apr 2013
368 posts
  •  
faithfulred
Usually I'm boiling straight after a run. I have to strip off as soon as possible. It's only about 10 minutes later (usually when I'm having my chocolate milkshake if after a long run ) that I start to feel a little cold. Then it's off to the shower and then I'm OK again.
Apr 2013
10:02am, 10 Apr 2013
1,338 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
I do cyclo cross racing in the winter, which is 55 minutes all out riding around muddy field, after the finish I go straight back to the car and change into lots of clothes before cleaning my bike. I am always surprised at the people who can hang around in their race kit chatting while I try not to freeze - even though I am warm enough racing in shorts and a thin top.
Apr 2013
10:04am, 10 Apr 2013
1,339 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
Might it be dehydration as well? It's hard to drink when it's cold but I must be losing a lot of water through breathing and sweat.
Apr 2013
11:16am, 10 Apr 2013
278 posts
  •  
Fravage
I always get the shivers about 20-30 minutes after I finish a long run in the cold, but I also get pins and needles in my fingers about the same time and that normally lasts longer. I suspect this could be a poor circulation thing that is somehow exacerbated by the cold.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Snellers
After long runs or bike rides, usually in cool or cold weather I sometimes get very cold. I don't f...