Post-broken ankle tight quads / IT band

1 watcher
Feb 2012
8:34am, 27 Feb 2012
5,761 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I'm getting back to running after a minor ankle fracture and sprain in January. All is good, the ankle doesn't hurt when I'm running. But, I have really tight quads on both legs, and the IT band on the "bad" leg is also really tight. I've been foam rolling twice a day and getting Mr W to help me with assisted quad stretches.

Is this to be expected? I'm wondering if it's just the fact that my legs aren't used to running - or whether it's because I spent a few weeks walking differently. Any thoughts? Anything I can do to stop it as it's very annoying!

Ta :)
Feb 2012
9:18am, 27 Feb 2012
168 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
I had a similar experience after 40d weeks off either si problems. Its was like super doms! Two weeks back training and im back to normal
Feb 2012
9:19am, 27 Feb 2012
169 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Darn auto text 40d ~ 4:)
Feb 2012
9:41am, 27 Feb 2012
140 posts
  •  
JenLov
I'm guessing its a combination of what you suspect anyway. But...WOAH, You broke your anke in Jan and you can already run? I got a stress fracture (tibia) last Nov/Dec and I'm still grounded, for at least another 5 weeks!!! I hope your return to running is successful and you are lucky to have Mr W to help you too.
Feb 2012
9:51am, 27 Feb 2012
5,764 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Yes JenLov - I've been pretty lucky really! The bone wasn't badly broken, and has healed well. And the tendon / soft tissue stuff is improving day by day. My physio has said getting back to normal is key now - push myself, see how it is, if it complains cut back, and if doesn't keep pushing. So far, so good. :)

I hope yours heals well and soon!
Feb 2012
12:13pm, 27 Feb 2012
15,621 posts
  •  
macca53
I had similar after ankle ligament reconstruction. Your brain tells you not to put any weight on the ankle so your quads and ITB try to do all the work to stop it happening - the quads on my "good" leg hurt more than the bad leg.
Feb 2012
12:20pm, 27 Feb 2012
5,766 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Thanks - so probably just a case of keep on with the stretching and foam rolling, and it should resolve itself. :)
Feb 2012
11:31pm, 28 Feb 2012
286 posts
  •  
Turkhish
I broke my ankle last July and suffered all the same problems....but what your physio said is bang on and what macca53 says is very true of my own experience! Just listen to your body and keep up with the extra stretching and you will be fine!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrs Winkle
I'm getting back to running after a minor ankle fracture and sprain in January. All is good, the an...