Possible water intoxication?

5 lurkers | 2 watchers
Jun 2011
3:09pm, 27 Jun 2011
144 posts
  •  
Roma
Interesting that you should say that Meglet. Met a marathon elite athlete last week (get me!!) who said she does not drink water on long runs, only sports drinks.
Jun 2011
3:22pm, 27 Jun 2011
732 posts
  •  
curly45
I drink nothing at all (and the same in races up to 10 miles now).

I just hydrate before I go out and drink about half a pint when I get back. I do get a bit thirsty when its hot, but nothing too much now I am adapted to it. Its not for everyone, but OH does it too, as neither of us take well to liquid in the stomach on the move. I've gone up to 20 miles in training without in the winter. I do take a few £s out on a just in case basis, but havent needed it for a while.
Jun 2011
5:10pm, 27 Jun 2011
7,640 posts
  •  
Meglet
I've found I am able to go longer without drinks than I used to. When I started running anything over about 45 mins I'd take a drink, and use it. Recently I've done up to 2 hours without, though often have an isotonic gel. Does depend on the weather though, I wouldn't run longer than an hour without water today.

I do prefer water whilst actually running, but also use gels. During VLM I realised I'd need electrolytes and made sure to take a bit of lucozade.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Caprica Vix (RotJ)
Hi all, my training partner (a non-fetchie) has been struggling to get to the end of long runs and h...