Possible water intoxication?
3:09pm, 27 Jun 2011
RomaInteresting that you should say that Meglet. Met a marathon elite athlete last week (get me!!) who said she does not drink water on long runs, only sports drinks.
3:22pm, 27 Jun 2011
curly45I drink nothing at all (and the same in races up to 10 miles now).
I just hydrate before I go out and drink about half a pint when I get back. I do get a bit thirsty when its hot, but nothing too much now I am adapted to it. Its not for everyone, but OH does it too, as neither of us take well to liquid in the stomach on the move. I've gone up to 20 miles in training without in the winter. I do take a few £s out on a just in case basis, but havent needed it for a while.
5:10pm, 27 Jun 2011
MegletI've found I am able to go longer without drinks than I used to. When I started running anything over about 45 mins I'd take a drink, and use it. Recently I've done up to 2 hours without, though often have an isotonic gel. Does depend on the weather though, I wouldn't run longer than an hour without water today.
I do prefer water whilst actually running, but also use gels. During VLM I realised I'd need electrolytes and made sure to take a bit of lucozade.
About This Thread
- Odd hydration vest / water bladder question Dec 2023
- Which Hydration bladder for an OMM Last Drop 10? Sep 2021
- Inov-8 hydration bladder - how to get all water out and store it? May 2020
- Hydration or energy? Feb 2014
- Fasting blood test -- can I drink herbal tea? Sep 2011
- Sweating/Salt! Jun 2013
- How far do you run, before taking on liquid/food? Aug 2012
- whot u drinking now ! Aug 2023
- Home made recovery drink Jun 2021
- Edinburgh Meadows 5K Monday nights this June and July Jan 2021
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?