Possible 5th metatarsal stress fracture - ongoing problem.

2 watchers
Oct 2015
10:45am, 26 Oct 2015
444 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
Okay, so at the end of August I changed my shoe type to a flatter, neutral type. Maybe I didn't transition slowly enough, but I had pain on the outside of left foot after a parkrun. I thought it was improving enough to do a 10K, but the pain came back. Oddly, it doesn't hurt when "warmed up", but after a period of rest - first thing in the morning.
I haven't run for 6 or more weeks, but the pain is still there. I'm getting pissed off with it now.
Saw my GP and a massage therapist at my club, but neither could confirm. Finally went to A&E for an X-ray, but nothing showed on the picture. This is not uncommon. The A&E nurse was convinced it wasn't a fracture "Because we never get a 5th metatarsal fracture" Hmmm. Her advice was to see my GP and get a scan. That could take ages. I'm tempted to just buy one of those orthopedic walker boot things.
Any advice or comments appreciated. Thanks.
Oct 2015
11:28am, 26 Oct 2015
1,687 posts
  •  
Red Ant
Hi Tonybv9, sorry to hear that you are having foot problems. Metatarsal stress fractures in the foot classically show up after 10-14 days. The fact that you have been symptomatic for 6 weeks and your x-ray was negative is reassuring (and of course it doesn't hurt after warming up) so I would be extremely surprised if it was a stress fracture. As to what else it could be... I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm sure a more knowledgable fetchie will come along shortly with regards to all the other possibilities. Hope it improves soon for you.
Oct 2015
12:35pm, 26 Oct 2015
25,096 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Could it be more like fascia / tendon damage? If so, have a wee look at the Plantar Fasciitis thread. The symptoms for that can be anywhere from heel to toe, via arch and all points between. And the treatments are incredibly broad brush, but if you try the all then maybe one of them will help. The good news, is that whilst it's slow to heal, it's usually something you can "manage" and run through. Best of luck, :-) G
Oct 2015
12:48pm, 26 Oct 2015
445 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
Thanks for the replies.

The pain is on the outside edge - one particular spot is tender to the touch. The massage therapist also works with a local Premiership football club, and he has seen fractures that only show up in a scan. I was wondering about a possible tendon issue too.
Oct 2015
1:10pm, 26 Oct 2015
446 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
The Plantar Fasciitis thread was interesting. The fact that my symptoms pretty much go after I start walking makes me wonder about soft tissue/ tendon. I was on my feet all day yesterday, and I could feel it in the evening.
Oct 2015
3:16pm, 26 Oct 2015
5,166 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Maybe a stupid question, but are you still getting it when you run in the old shoes (or shoe type)?
Oct 2015
4:39pm, 26 Oct 2015
447 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
I haven't run at all for weeks Paul. I'm tempted to try a little jog in my old shoes. I went from Saucony Omni (stability) to Saucony Kinvara (neutral), because of knee issues.
Oct 2015
1:51pm, 27 Oct 2015
449 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
I've spent ages trawling through the web, to find some more information. This is a good one:
aafp.org

Tried the hop test - no pain at all, so I went out for a slow 5k this morning. The only twinge was when I went round a sharp right hand corner, which put pressure on the outside of the left foot.
I think I'll just build up slowly and see how it goes.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Okay, so at the end of August I changed my shoe type to a flatter, neutral type. Maybe I didn't tra...