Pool Mate Watch - Are they any good ?

7 watchers
Aug 2010
12:44pm, 4 Aug 2010
1,009 posts
  •  
parkbench
Just had a new one of these for my birthday. Went to the pool today with great expectations. They were not to be fulfilled. Whilst the watch records my lengths of the pool, it only stores the data for the total swim session. I was hoping to disect each lap for number of strokes etc, but it was not to be. I was at least hoping for it to record the time for each length, but it doesn't do this either. If I want to record my 100m splits, I have to push the button twice at the end of every 100m (which I will still have to count in my head or check the watch). I only have to push it once on my normal watch !! I thought I was making some progress this morning, when I was visualises my arm as a stake in the ground and swimming past it, but as I have no record of the length times, I'll never know. And finally, it recorded me doing an odd number of lengths, which means I can't even trust the total data !!!!!
Anyone else have one ?
Aug 2010
1:31pm, 4 Aug 2010
3 posts
  •  
AlanB
Agree with some of the criticisms, the lack of splits by lap is a bit disappointing, its measuing a change in lap so you would hope it could monitor this, hopefully this will be incorporated on later versions.
The lap accuracy is I find generally good from the times I've used (swims of 1km) it and you do get a bit of extra information about your swimming - stokes, effectiveness.
I'm still impressed at not needing to count laps!
Aug 2010
1:43pm, 4 Aug 2010
3,863 posts
  •  
NickCook
I'd love to not have to count laps, but £70 seems a bit much just for that!!
Aug 2010
1:53pm, 4 Aug 2010
1,134 posts
  •  
Ellem
You can dissect each lap (say 100m) for stroke count, efficiency etc. You do need to press the button once to pause and once to restart a new lap though, but can then see all the relevant info about each set.

Check the settings and make sure it's set up for the required length of pool, etc I forgot to change mine back from 20m to 25m once and data was all "mince"!!

I find it very accurate and absolutely love mine, though it takes a bit of getting used to the strange way of accessing the information ;-)
Aug 2010
3:56pm, 4 Aug 2010
1,825 posts
  •  
Tav H
I feel I cheated in my silver Personal Survival when I was young - I swear I only did 650 metres of the required 800, but the examiner yanked me out of the pool and said well done. I could have done with one of these. :-(
Aug 2010
4:00pm, 4 Aug 2010
37,048 posts
  •  
Gobi
I have one and I like it very much
Aug 2010
10:10pm, 4 Aug 2010
219 posts
  •  
manda_r
I love mine.. I can't count.. so is a massive help.
Aug 2010
7:18am, 5 Aug 2010
37,061 posts
  •  
Gobi
manda - for sure, doesn't mean I do the right length in a set but at least I know what I have done.
Aug 2010
7:50am, 5 Aug 2010
220 posts
  •  
manda_r
Yeah same here. I was doing a 1000m tt for the swimming challenge and ended up doing more, but least I could work out what time I would have hit the 1000m at! It would be great if at the end of each length it shouts "you have now done 1 length" etc!!!!
Aug 2010
8:01am, 5 Aug 2010
37,066 posts
  •  
Gobi
Oi stupid you can stop now would be a useful function

About This Thread

Maintained by parkbench
Just had a new one of these for my birthday. Went to the pool today with great expectations. They we...