24 lurkers | 197 watchers
30 Day Post Breakdown Female Male Unspecified
Posts (Contributors) 11 (4) 736 (35) ()
Dec 2022
4:54pm, 2 Dec 2022
19,763 posts
  •  
larkim
Catholic comp boy here, (probably just down the road from macca 53 I think if he was at the private grammar I'm thinking of); some memorable teachers (including, mainly due to catholicism, my future wife's god father, and my future children's french teacher's parent - both the same people as it turns out) and lots of non-memorable ones. I was the quiet swotty kid who wasn't any good at sport so plenty of low level bullying. But I enjoyed learning so didn't mind the whole thing too much so I don't think I look back on school as being particularly unpleasant, though by the same token it's not my finest memories.
Dec 2022
5:32pm, 2 Dec 2022
58,312 posts
  •  
LindsD
Round here it's the faith schools that skim off the top. After the public schools, obvs.
Dec 2022
5:34pm, 2 Dec 2022
58,313 posts
  •  
LindsD
DeeGee don't those grammar schools have catchment areas? There is one nearish to me, but we don't live in the right postcode and so would not have been able to apply to sit the 11+. Some parents did move in years 5 and 6 to be in the correct postcode.

Mum was a scholarship girl at the local private school. Hated it and left as soon as legally permitted.
Dec 2022
5:36pm, 2 Dec 2022
58,314 posts
  •  
LindsD
(the faith schools definitely take a lot of the parents who push for better *whatever* from the schools, and take an interest)

Also, in response to whether the top end should get resources - a bright child will often switch off, become naughty and disinterested if not stretched, so yes, top end have needs that need to be met also for the best outcomes for all. It's not the case that bright kids will succeed whatever.
Dec 2022
5:39pm, 2 Dec 2022
22,272 posts
  •  
DeeGee
DeeGee don't those grammar schools have catchment areas? There is one nearish to me, but we don't live in the right postcode and so would not have been able to apply to sit the 11+. Some parents did move in years 5 and 6 to be in the correct postcode. Mum was a scholarship girl at the local private school. Hated it and left as soon as legally permitted.

All catchment children who meet a certain score get in. Non catchment children are awarded the remaining places based on how highly they scored, highest first.

The score changes every year based on the local cohort and available spaces.

We were out of catchment, so had to score very highly to get in.
Dec 2022
5:41pm, 2 Dec 2022
22,273 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Effectively, there aren't enough qualified catchment children to get in each year, so the remaining spaces are awarded in order of score. There are always places for out of catchment.
Dec 2022
5:42pm, 2 Dec 2022
20,271 posts
  •  
richmac
Here we are in a cost of living crisis and farms are throwing food away.

Sell it at the roadside or take a trailer full to a poor area, you'll get rid of it quick smarrt

theguardian.com
Dec 2022
5:48pm, 2 Dec 2022
58,317 posts
  •  
LindsD
Aha. I understand.
Dec 2022
5:49pm, 2 Dec 2022
30,771 posts
  •  
macca 53
Catholic comp boy here, (probably just down the road from macca 53 I think if he was at the private grammar I'm thinking of); some memorable teachers (including, mainly due to catholicism, my future wife's god father, and my future children's french teacher's parent - both the same people as it turns out) and lots of non-memorable ones. I was the quiet swotty kid who wasn't any good at sport so plenty of low level bullying. But I enjoyed learning so didn't mind the whole thing too much so I don't think I look back on school as being particularly unpleasant, though by the same token it's not my finest memories.

BGS for me Larks and Gabs for you I guess. In my days BGS was a direct grant grammar school so they had to take in a certain (fixed) percentage of the masses (and had an entry exam and interviews). I went from being the biggest fish in my local pond (St Thomas’) to just another brightish kid. My grammar school days started badly with me having absolutely no idea what form I was in other than it started U3…. I had never seen a Greek Alpha symbol in my life before so I said I was in “Class Upper 3 with a squiggle that I can’t read” - and was known by my Classics (!!) teacher as squiggle for a couple of years.
Dec 2022
11:06pm, 2 Dec 2022
220 posts
  •  
Boffin
Suggesting that state education is 1984esque and that banning private schools is akin to book burning is not only offensive to someone who came through the comprehensive system, it's also idiotic.

Not only remove, but ban alternative educational routes other than a state system, prevents freedom of choice. Welcome to your dictatorship 😔
Wonder how far you would get posting your views in North Korea Fozzy 🤔

"Offensive to someone who came through the comprehensive system" Fortunately for democracy; opinions vary.

Should all options be removed leaving only state education; then that is all there is. One size is enforced to fit all. That then allows for abuse of the monopolised system to suit the comrade elite..... hence the 1984 reference...

Not realistic? Would never happen? Consider North Korea.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Current poll - When will the next election be ***

March 28 2024 - fetch
April 1 2024 - Paul Cook
April 4 2024 - Macca53
May 9 2024 - Bazoaxe
May 9 2024 - Johnny Blaze
June 20 2024 - Fields
Oct 17 2024 - jda
Oct 24 2024 - Chrisull
Nov 21 2024 - HappyG
Dec 5 2024 - LindsD
Dec 21 2024 - richmac
Jan 24, 2025 - J2R
Jan 28 2025 - Bob!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.