10 lurkers | 196 watchers
30 Day Post Breakdown Female Male Unspecified
Posts (Contributors) 11 (5) 636 (35) ()
Jul 2022
4:42pm, 7 Jul 2022
55,554 posts
  •  
LindsD
Nope. It's everyone else's fault. Quite incredible.
Jul 2022
4:58pm, 7 Jul 2022
9,499 posts
  •  
simbil
Came across a bit like it ain't all over for him, don't think he has got the message. Maybe he is hoping for Trumpian style insurrection - the people rising to demand he stays? Guess when he was speaking that he didn't hear the boos and Benny Hill music..
Jul 2022
5:05pm, 7 Jul 2022
27,696 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
His demeanour was strange. Even though you have to account for the usual bumptious bluster he didn't seem like a man who had just been knifed in the back 100 times and was thoroughly crestfallen or even angry. I think he is up to something but what it could be I have no idea. It could be something as simple as filling his boots from the public purse, announcing a string of batshit policies or ennobling 100 cronies, but it could be something more sinister entirely.
Jul 2022
5:13pm, 7 Jul 2022
18,333 posts
  •  
larkim
They can do whatever they want basically I think! I know you're a stickler for rules and convention larks, but here they will do what they deem necessary and then present a justification afterwards.
Well, they can and they can't. It'd be a big risk for them to get sued by a Party member for breaching the constitution in appointing a leader.

The 1922 only has a part role in the selection of a leader, though arguably it's the most important one in distilling the candidates down.
Jul 2022
5:18pm, 7 Jul 2022
27,697 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
If the Tory Party have any sense they will expedite the leadership contest, push the summer recess back and have a new bean in place within 3 weeks. But they don't have much sense. That might be what *he* is relying on.

He could put a lot of obstacles in their way while he is ostensibly still in position, and the world could be a different place by end Sept. We can only hope that the new Cabinet will have the balls to tell him "enough is enough" if he tries anything smart.

In the end he won't win but he could, as always, cause chaos while he pursues his narcissistic little fantasies.
jda
Jul 2022
5:21pm, 7 Jul 2022
12,927 posts
  •  
jda
May didn't go to a members vote as the other candidates were either eliminated or conveniently withdrew. I'm not suggesting they could force an instant change but it doesn't have to take several months as per Johnson's original idea.
Jul 2022
5:24pm, 7 Jul 2022
19,142 posts
  •  
richmac
Dunno how you lot feel but I'm just relieved that he's on his way, no jubilation, it's been exhausting.
Jul 2022
5:24pm, 7 Jul 2022
27,698 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
If all the candidates drop out because there is seen to be an obvious winner it doesn't go to the members. It didn't for the Maybot.

If it ends up as Truss/Sunak and it's pretty close I can't see either of them standing down. If it goes to the members it will be a simple decision tree:

Brexit headcase Y/N
Right wing nutter willing to chuck them plenty of red meat Y/N

Two yeses and you have it made.
Jul 2022
5:32pm, 7 Jul 2022
27,699 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I feel a strange sense of anticlimax given that he has been in my head since the referendum.

I'm pleased he has gone. I'm fairly certain tons of stuff will emerge about his behaviour as PM which has hitherto been suppressed, and it won't be to his advantage. I'm less pleased that he will now go back to his life of bullshit, shagging and spouting shite for vast amounts of cash, and that he will never be fully held to account for his negligence during the pandemic.

But, you have to take the win.

The damage he has wreaked is irreparable and his "reputation" is in the crapper. Worst PM since the War and worst human being to hold the job since the War. His tenure ended the way his life has been conducted: foolish, undignified, ramshackle, chaotic, and reeking of entitlement, selfishness and arrogance.

I can only hope that the GBP learn from the experience and never inflict anyone like him upon us again.
Jul 2022
5:34pm, 7 Jul 2022
19,351 posts
  •  
Chrisull
According to the polls, Sunak is the only election winner they have against Starmer.

I expect a Sunak/Javid team to triumph (but it's Tory members, who knows?), and if I was Labour I'd be getting ready to depose Starmer if Durham police fail to do so, and replace him a better communicator - Burnham being the obvious choice.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Current poll - When will the next election be ***

March 28 2024 - fetch
April 1 2024 - Paul Cook
April 4 2024 - Macca53
May 9 2024 - Bazoaxe
May 9 2024 - Johnny Blaze
June 20 2024 - Fields
Oct 17 2024 - jda
Oct 24 2024 - Chrisull
Nov 21 2024 - HappyG
Dec 5 2024 - LindsD
Dec 21 2024 - richmac
Jan 24, 2025 - J2R
Jan 28 2025 - Bob!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.