•  
rf_fozzy
I think it was this article: theguardian.com
Jan 2022
5:50pm, 24 Jan 2022
16,327 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Actually no it wasn't that one. Erm, I'll try and find the one I meant later.
Jan 2022
5:54pm, 24 Jan 2022
8,129 posts
  •  
Dooogs
That Runciman article was a good one. I occasionally read Cummings' old blog as it has some interesting (not necessarily correct) insights on the salt mine from his time as a SpAd here (e.g. our current Perm Sec was hired during Cummings' time at No 10, following being just about the only official not excoriated by him in 2013).

Agree on 90% of his blog quoting scientific and management theories without necessarily appearing to understand them: he reminds me of me aged 15 or so, desperately trying to sound impressive by quoting things I'd skim-read or heard about third-hand. Thankfully, I eventually grew out of that...
Jan 2022
5:54pm, 24 Jan 2022
8,130 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Haha, the Runciman article is worth linking to anyway, IMO. :)
Jan 2022
5:57pm, 24 Jan 2022
9,391 posts
  •  
simbil
Is Cummings' unwillingness for a verbal interview with Gray a sign that he needs time to plan his lies and is scared of being caught in the lie whilst giving a verbal interview? It's not like he has a reliable track record with the truth.

Still it's amusing to watch him and BoJo at war - like a second rate revolution eating itself in some sad shambolic fashion which is an apt testament to the miserable failure that is the Brexit project.
Jan 2022
6:10pm, 24 Jan 2022
16,737 posts
  •  
larkim
It's definitely theatre. Cummings is a few mm away from being a conspiracy theorist and his allusions to personality disorders with Johnson mis the point that he himself displays some pretty out of the ordinary personality traits. But for the time being I'm happy he is out there firing salvos at Johnson.
J2R
Jan 2022
6:22pm, 24 Jan 2022
4,057 posts
  •  
J2R
As regards blocking, it's not something I feel the need to do myself here. There is one poster on here who does not engage in debate, presumably because he or she is incapable of doing so, but who occasionally pops by to post some semi-literate bilge to piss off the liberals and then clears off again for a while. But I thing it's still worth reading what s/he says, as a way of trying to understand the mentality.
Jan 2022
6:26pm, 24 Jan 2022
16,328 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ah, found it. Was the Chris Grey blog post I posted the other day. This was these were the paragraphs that resonated:

"Ironically, given his, often accurate, criticism of business schools, they closely resemble those of big-league MBA students in the 1990s and 2000s. Both share the ‘work round the clock, win at all costs, smartest guys in the room’ machismo. They’re also similar in the mix of adulation for this or that business leader, Silicon Valley ‘disruptor’ schtick, and geek-macho enthrallment to science and data, the confluence of which then informs various ideas about the management and organization of big projects, often discussed on Cummings’ blog.

Whilst having some interesting insights in them, these discussions are like jelly in being a sprawling mish-mash of ideas without much in the way of disciplined thinking. At all events, the key point here is that, to the extent they have an over-arching theme, they sit within a well-worn groove of anti-bureaucratic analysis of organizations. Since the core of bureaucracy is rational-legal authority, these ideas are associated with a specific hostility to the Civil Service and to what Cummings and others call ‘the Blob’ (£), and often slide into impatience with, even disdain for, the rule of law."
Jan 2022
6:26pm, 24 Jan 2022
16,329 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Here's the original article: chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com
Jan 2022
6:28pm, 24 Jan 2022
26,335 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
itv.com

I'm sure there will be more and more to come. Poor Sue.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Current poll - When will the next election be ***

March 28 2024 - fetch
April 1 2024 - Paul Cook
April 4 2024 - Macca53
May 9 2024 - Bazoaxe
May 9 2024 - Johnny Blaze
June 20 2024 - Fields
Oct 17 2024 - jda
Oct 24 2024 - Chrisull
Nov 21 2024 - HappyG
Dec 5 2024 - LindsD
Dec 21 2024 - richmac
Jan 24, 2025 - J2R
Jan 28 2025 - Bob!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.