Polarized training

90 watchers
Jul 2022
6:08pm, 12 Jul 2022
1,603 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
So i have some new findings that confuses me a bit..
Should i raise my low effort HR?

Any suggestions and insights to what to make of this?
fetcheveryone.com/blog/105817/2022/07#452376
SPR
Jul 2022
6:16pm, 12 Jul 2022
37,404 posts
  •  
SPR
Easy running isn't running at lactate threshold unless I've misunderstood what you're suggesting.
Jul 2022
6:23pm, 12 Jul 2022
1,604 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
No i don't think you do, but i got my LT or fat max up to 162. And that suggests that that it is easy running up to that?
But yes, i might mix it up a bit now, it's a lot of things to have in mind. :)

But i probably still should be under 70ish % of my max HR for the easy bit at least in an 80/20 approach then for sure.
J2R
Jul 2022
6:48pm, 12 Jul 2022
4,282 posts
  •  
J2R
The image suggests the top of your Z2 is 162, and the top of Z2 is indeed the upper end of what is classed as easy in the standard 5 zone system. Extraordinarily high value, though. Maybe you are some kind of physiological freak! :)
Jul 2022
6:56pm, 12 Jul 2022
1,605 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I have been on a low carb diet for the last 10-12 years. And most of my runs is on an empty stomach, and I only add carbs when I go for over ~22km and want to train for energy intake for a marathon.

Otherwise I do long runs on no energy as well.
Seems to have done some effects on my fat adaptation.
Jul 2022
12:21pm, 27 Jul 2022
4,397 posts
  •  
Kieren
I am wondering what sessions people are doing for their 10% + 10%?

At the moment, I use the following two:

5 X 1 Mile at aerobic threshold (10K pace) with 1 minute rest
6 x strides

10 x 400m at tad slower than mile pace with 400m jog / walk recovery

------
Suggested but not yet tried are:

12 x 400m hard with 40s rest (I can't imagine completing that!)
12 x 300 w/300 jog
Jul 2022
12:27pm, 27 Jul 2022
5,040 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
I'd be inclined to add more rest between the mile reps to increase the speed and keep the quality and run the 400s quicker. My 400 time is approx 90 seconds (6 min/mile) compared to a mile time of just under 7 by way of example.

I also do reps in terms of minutes e.g 6x4 mins off 2 mins rolling recovery or 8x3mins off 90 seconds... that sort of thing. Lots of variations.
Jul 2022
12:37pm, 27 Jul 2022
4,399 posts
  •  
Kieren
Interesting, thanks. I'll definitely make a note and take on board. I maybe should have noted I use mile time from a calculator based on my 5K time, which is probably faster than I can actually run a mile due to lack of practice / specificity.

The suggested workout is an old one from a fast Local club that is perhaps for people both a lot fitter and younger than me.

The Mile repeats, I struggled with on the last rep which I think highlights a deficiency I have at the moment.

I like the reps by minutes you list. I use similar for Daniels but with a little less volume and little more rest. I am not fond of them because they hurt but will try to build up to the ones you listed.
Jul 2022
1:33pm, 27 Jul 2022
1,634 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I do either 4-8 reps of 4min
Or 10x 400m in about 80sec
As one of the 10%

And for the other 10% I might do 10k around lactate threshold for instance.
jda
Jul 2022
7:32pm, 27 Jul 2022
13,080 posts
  •  
jda
Also depends on your goals. I know that my top-end speed is deficient, but then again, I don't really care as my 5-10k performance will never match my marathon, relatively speaking. So I'm happy to just be a bit mediocre at the former and really try to target the latter. Meaning nothing above threshold really.

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com