Polarized training

90 watchers
May 2022
5:51pm, 30 May 2022
1,452 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
J2R I didn’t mean it’s bad to run with zero drop shoes or transitioning to toe strike or whatever.
Only that I did a fast transition to something, and I hurt my self doing it.

Anyway,
Collected some more data today, and it was a poor form as always, and as always I wonder if I’m looking for something that doesn’t apply to me.

Maybe I don’t over stride, maybe I don’t have to up my cadence even more.
Well.
I watched some videos on over striding and good running form.

Arms back, land under your center of gravity, shorten your stride, land mit foot and up the cadence a bit.

I felt like an idiot running like a slow roadrunner (the cartoon character) almost like looking as fast as possible but staying in the same place or something like that.
Not comfortable, left ankle started to hurt, right foot some niggles too.
Tap dancer or river dancing style..

Well I’ll keep trying to adjust pace, cadence, stride and what not until it feels more natural. Maybe I’ll try to get a MHR again to see if I’m still in the right zones and so on.
I really want to be able to go slow and with a good form. I like the science around this polarization training.

I just have to be able to do it too..
SPR
May 2022
6:02pm, 30 May 2022
36,905 posts
  •  
SPR
Be careful Bowman, don't break yourself. I'd suggest looking at pics and video if possible of yourself running and seeing if you spot any issues. ATM you're trying to make changes without knowing if you're doing something wrong.

My club strava group told runners after Manchester Marathon etc to take 3-4 weeks easy, you're just past 2 weeks. Fatigue has a cumulative effect and can make muscles work harder than they're used to, it's not necessarily just go out and get a sudden injury.
May 2022
6:29pm, 30 May 2022
1,453 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Yes i will be careful SPR, I thought about getting someone to film me with my GoPro, I’ll look in to that, thanks!
May 2022
6:32pm, 30 May 2022
1,454 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
By the way my wife and kids drove passed me when I was out running, and when I got home she said; we didn’t thought I was you at first, your running was so strange we thought it was someone else, what were you doing… 🤣
SPR
May 2022
7:16pm, 30 May 2022
36,907 posts
  •  
SPR
Lol!
May 2022
8:48pm, 30 May 2022
124 posts
  •  
OverTheHillToo
No disrespect to your missus Bowman, but I wouldn't take the visual evidence of a non-trained person to be indicative of running efficieny.. *tongue-in-cheek*
May 2022
5:26am, 31 May 2022
1,455 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
😆
May 2022
8:04am, 31 May 2022
8,787 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Bowman - I developed bad niggles last year that progressively got worse, but only during easy runs. I gave up running for a few months when they persisted outside of running, and on my return have started seeing a running form coach (just a couple of sessions required). I'm a heel striker but wasn't over striding. All I needed was a few tweaks in my running form. I've been working on keeping my head and chest up and lifting my knees a bit more. Has made all the difference, but has required practice.
May 2022
8:11am, 31 May 2022
1,457 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Interesting TeeBee thanks, yes my next step will be recording my running form in some different speeds and go from there.
I'll post it here when i get it done.
May 2022
8:18am, 31 May 2022
1,458 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
This is how have set it up now.

My thought is try to stay under 73% of MHR (140bpm as a nice round number) (192 is my best guesstimation right now for MHR, but will try to get a new MHR soon)
And this is how i look at it, Try to stay under 140pbm.
And the yellow zone is where i want to shrink down in to to green.
And red and orange is my high intensity stuff.

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com