Polarized training

90 watchers
J2R
Dec 2020
4:55pm, 23 Dec 2020
3,335 posts
  •  
J2R
Kieren, if you're referring to the Fitzgerald book the I would say it's a decent introduction to polarized training ideas. But I reckon you would learn more if you read through this thread from the beginning (assuming you have not already done so) - lots of really, really useful information and ideas here.
Dec 2020
1:09am, 24 Dec 2020
4,087 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks. I've read quite a lot in this thread & find itt very helpful.

I stumbled across this which might be useful for those planning the 20% hard sessions.

https://youtu.be/r_lmDaD8Z2E
J2R
Dec 2020
10:29am, 24 Dec 2020
3,337 posts
  •  
J2R
Thanks, Kieren, that stuff is gold.
J2R
Jan 2021
11:17am, 11 Jan 2021
3,355 posts
  •  
J2R
I had a proper go at these short interval blocks the other day - interesting experience. Because it's quite difficult to monitor your pace for these short intervals, I like to use a stretch of track of known distance. There's a convenient rectangle in the local park, where the short sides are about a quarter the length of the long sides, so it makes sense to use that (if my recoveries are at half the speed and half the duration, then I will cover a quarter of the distance).

What this meant is I ended up doing 3 sets of 10 x 42-43 seconds, with 17-18 second recoveries, separated by 2 minute rests. 42-43 seconds equates to something a little faster than 5K pace but not as fast as vVO2max pace. I suspect this is close enough to 2-1 ratio for it not to make any difference.

Maybe I should actually have gone at vVO2max pace, I'm not sure? It's not clear from Seiler's discussion exactly what pace one should be doing the short intervals at. The main benefit of these blocks seems to be that they allow you to accumulate a lot of training time at over 90% of max heart rate or VO2max (the two seem to be used interchangeably). If we're talking about max heart rate and using the Karvonen (heart rate reserve) method, then this session didn't quite hit the spot. My heart rate followed the kind of sawtooth pattern Seiler mentions, going up to 162-163 in the intervals and dropping to 158 in the recoveries. Using Karvonen, though, 90% for me is 163, so I'm hovering just under that. If I simply use 90% of HRmax, though, this is perfect, as that figure would be 158 for me, so the entire session is just a little above that.

One other point is that it was about 2/3 the way through the first block before my heart rate climbed up to and settled at that 158-163 range. So in effect, I only did maybe 24 out of the 30 reps actually in the 'zone' (although clearly the first 6 will also have had training benefit). I think a better way of doing this may actually be to preface it with a more effective warmup, with some strenuous stuff in there, to allow my heart rate to climb much more quickly as soon as I get going.

I'll be experimenting with these more in the next few weeks.
J2R
Feb 2021
8:08pm, 2 Feb 2021
3,374 posts
  •  
J2R
I realise I have fallen, without intending to, into a rather ultra-polarised training pattern of late. Partly because of crappy weather and partly out of what's-the-point lethargy, my weekly mileage has dropped back to something like 30-35 miles per week at the moment. I'm typically running 15-18 miles (over two runs) at the weekend with Mrs J2R, normally at 11-11:30 mins/mile. But I also tend to do a long speedwork session in the week where my pace for the reps is typically 5-5:30 mins/mile. Quite a gap, eh? If this works out to be spectacularly effective, I'll publish a book about my method and let you all know when it is to be published. :)
Mar 2021
11:26am, 27 Mar 2021
4,154 posts
  •  
Kieren
Another good video from Stephen Seller

On adapting his polarised training model with new ways / more accessible ways of recording data, particularly training load and stress. For example, duration Vs intensity.

https://youtu.be/yvOPYEbRHzI
Mar 2021
3:58pm, 27 Mar 2021
2,412 posts
  •  
Canute
Kieran, Thanks for posting that recent lecture by Stephen Seiler.

As I see, it he is re-stating the idea that to optimise training we need to measure the strain (i.e. the degree of ‘bending of our body under load’) arising from our training.

This takes me back to the days when I aimed used daily resting HR and HRV to assess the accumulation of strain. But I found that I had to combine these measurements with an estimate of subjective well-being – the type of assessment done using the Profile of Mood States (POMS) though I never sued POMS regularly. I as interested to note that in Seiler’s summary slide ( at around 46 min) he had POMS change (at 24 hours post training) at the top of his list of measures of strain.

I think our own brains are still the most sensitive devices we have for assessing the strain of training.
Mar 2021
6:23pm, 28 Mar 2021
17,382 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Canute - the Garmin Fenix (and other mid-high range ones) measure HR and HRV and record a training status (Peaking/Productive/Unproductive) along with advice on how long you should rest before doing a hard workout, is that doing now what you were doing in the day?
SPR
Mar 2021
6:28pm, 28 Mar 2021
33,759 posts
  •  
SPR
Peaking/Productive/Unproductive is based on VO2 max (at least on the 245 anyway) which is silly IMO and I've turned it off for that reason.
Mar 2021
6:35pm, 28 Mar 2021
17,384 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Lol - yes, my gut feeling is , it's not sensible. Also it's estimate on my VO2 max has gone from the stupidly undercooked to the stupidly over optimistic.... 47 now up to 55!!

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com