Polarized training

90 watchers
Aug 2020
10:53am, 16 Aug 2020
35,046 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
What is your max Kieren mine minus age is 170 but looking on the test stages 182.
Aug 2020
12:44pm, 16 Aug 2020
71,118 posts
  •  
Gobi
As a coach one of the first things I have to teach athletes is the difference between perception and reality.

Reliable HR data usually does the trick, then you have to adjust their perception and explain that ego has no place in proper training.
Aug 2020
2:45pm, 16 Aug 2020
16,445 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Gobi - I think also learning to recognize the change in your breathing pattern when you breach the first ventilatory threshold is a good one I'd say too. It's the kind of thing you don't notice unless you're watching. But it's an indicator you're going/have gone too fast. Watching what HR you have at the time helps connect it as well.

In Cornwall it's easier to spot, because there are so many hills and even if you try and take them slowly, it's inevitable on the 10%+ slopes, that if you don't walk you'll topple over it briefly.

Harking back to FR's question - why don't more elites not practice 80/20, this article digs a little into it:

runnersworld.com
Aug 2020
5:30pm, 16 Aug 2020
4,001 posts
  •  
Kieren
HOD - I haven't run a max test since starting again this year. I have done interval session on my plan and a weekly 5K time trial, and max heart rate reached is 180bpm (previous value in my settings was 201). I expect my max might be either 180 or at most 185.

Resting is about 38bpm these days. I made an estimate on LT from the 5K TT heart rate.

According to the 80:20 calculator, my zone 2 running was correct despite my incorrect max hr settings.

The pace guides that the 80:20 calculator gives me are broadly the same as the vdot calculator I used for my last plan. I start a new plan on Monday so will be sticking to that but keeping 80:20 principles in mind. I'll hopefully be adding more volume so will try to keep on the lower side of zone2 or even zone 1 if I can for the easy days.
Aug 2020
8:55pm, 16 Aug 2020
71,124 posts
  •  
Gobi
Speak for yourself Chris - I went up 19% today and was very in control :¬)
Aug 2020
12:06pm, 17 Aug 2020
1,704 posts
  •  
Brunski
I'm the same Gobi, I've done that much running in zone 1 or 2 that I am fine with keeping the HR in check on hills.

Previously I'd try and keep to zone 1 on easy days and I'd have to slow a bit but since you mentioned the benefits of zone 2 running I've definitely started to spend more time there and can trot around at relatively low heart rates maintaining proper form, decent cadence and a decent overall speed.
Aug 2020
12:41pm, 17 Aug 2020
71,126 posts
  •  
Gobi
As I have said before time and patience brings rewards :-)
Dec 2020
12:59pm, 23 Dec 2020
4,083 posts
  •  
Kieren
Is it worth buying the book if you have watched the video linked and large sections of this thread?
SPR
Dec 2020
1:03pm, 23 Dec 2020
32,666 posts
  •  
SPR
I haven't read the book, but the impression I get from what I read of people talking about the book is that it's actually dumbed down. As I haven't read it though, it's only an impression and could be unfair.
Dec 2020
1:16pm, 23 Dec 2020
4,085 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks SPR - yeah that is what I am trying to avoid. Especially if maybe the concept is stretched out. This is where being able to have a quick flick through in a book shop would be useful but I'm in Tier 4, so everything is closed.

I suppose it needs to target someone completely new to training as well as the concept, so I'll skip for now. At least until I finish the 18 week plan I am following

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com