Polarized training

90 watchers
Aug 2020
6:45pm, 14 Aug 2020
4,513 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
*applauds* Gobi.

It amazes me that some really quick runners, seem to run almost every day really quickly.

If they followed the polarised method they would mostly be running at 8 minute/miling with some quality sessions.... but they never seem to get the message. :(

I'm sure they would improve by following the polarised method.
Aug 2020
7:43am, 15 Aug 2020
71,105 posts
  •  
Gobi
Works well enough for me, I hate wishy washy
Aug 2020
11:54am, 15 Aug 2020
35,040 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
What’s Aladdin gotta do with it
Aug 2020
2:53pm, 15 Aug 2020
16,435 posts
  •  
Chrisull
FR - There's multiple ways to skin a cat. Ed Whitlock famously pursued a very polarised training schedule on his route to breaking the over 70s marathon world record as Canute detailed here, but Gene Dykes who subsequently claimed it pursued a far more aggressive, lot more fast stuff kind of program.
Aug 2020
3:08pm, 15 Aug 2020
3,996 posts
  •  
Kieren
Depends how brightly you want that candle to burn
Aug 2020
3:18pm, 15 Aug 2020
71,111 posts
  •  
Gobi
No harm(unless you get injured) in a bit of high risk training every so often.

I have used the Horwell method for a few weeks to get in shape fast. The results dont last as long as a patient approach but to get sharp quickly maybe twice a year then cool.

However, it helps if you are already very fit when risking it.

There is a jap v60 who basically runs 6 miles a day 5 days a weeks at a good pace has a rest day and does a long run. Says something about running fast to keep the elasticity in his muscles as he ages. (Caveat - this is going back a few years)

I still prefer the long game through choice
J2R
Aug 2020
3:55pm, 15 Aug 2020
2,907 posts
  •  
J2R
Gobi, keeping the elasticity in the muscles (or perhaps just maintaining muscle mass) is the reason I, as a 60 year old, do a small amount of really fast work, sprints and hills. You lose it much more quickly as you get older.

On top of the 40-50 miles of largely easy running (80% +) I'm doing at the moment, I'm also doing 10-15 miles of brisk walking, accompanying Mrs J2R who is recovering from Lyme Disease and slowly trying to build her fitness back up (she had very serious neck pain and neurological symptoms which prevented her from running and cycling, among other things - keep an eye out for ticks, guys!).

I'm quite convinced this brisk walking is a help for overall aerobic fitness for me, too, even on top of the running. If I'm moving for 2.5 hours at a heart rate 30-50 beats above my resting HR, it's got to be doing some good, I would say.
SPR
Aug 2020
4:13pm, 15 Aug 2020
30,870 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm a big advocate of hill sprints. Do them pretty much weekly.
Aug 2020
5:46pm, 15 Aug 2020
4,542 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
J2R, totally agree with you. Brisk walking is totally underrated. Perhaps with age comes wisdom?
Aug 2020
5:47pm, 15 Aug 2020
4,543 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Also agree, Chrisull, with the caveat, that some who run too fast too much also appear to be injured too frequently.

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Polarised training is a form of training that places emphasis on the two extremes of intensity. There is a large amount of low intensity training (comfortably below lactate threshold) and an appreciable minority of high intensity training (above LT).

Polarised training does also include some training near lactate threshold, but the amount of threshold training is modest, in contrast to the relatively high proportion of threshold running that is popular among some recreational runners.

Polarised training is not new. It has been used for many years by many elites and some recreational runners. However, it has attracted great interest in recent years for two reasons.

First, detailed reviews of the training of many elite endurance athletes confirms that they employ a polarised approach (typically 80% low intensity, 10% threshold and 10% high intensity. )

Secondly, several scientific studies have demonstrated that for well trained athletes who have reached a plateau of performance, polarised training produces greater gains in fitness and performance, than other forms of training such as threshold training on the one hand, or high volume, low intensity training on the other.

Much of the this evidence was reviewed by Stephen Seiler in a lecture delivered in Paris in 2013 .
vimeo.com

In case you cannot access that lecture by Seiler in 2013, here is a link to his more recent TED talk.

ted.com
This has less technical detail than his 2013 talk, but is nonetheless a very good introduction to the topic. It should be noted that from the historical perspective, Seiler shows a US bias.

Here is another useful video by Stephen Seiler in which he discusses the question of the optimum intensity and duration of low intensity sessions. Although the answer ‘depends on circumstances’ he proposes that a low intensity session should be long enough to reach the point where there are detectable indications of rising stress (either the beginning of upwards drift of HR or increased in perceived effort). If longer than this, there is increasing risk of damaging effects. A session shorter than this might not be enough to produce enough stress to achieve a useful training effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXc474Hu5U

The coach who probably deserves the greatest credit for emphasis on the value of low intensity training was Arthur Lydiard, who coached some of the great New Zealanders in the 1960's and Scandinavians in the 1970’s. One of his catch-phrases was 'train, don't strain'. However Lydiard never made it really clear what he meant by ‘quarter effort’. I have discussed Lydiard’s ideas on several occasions on my Wordpress blog. For example: canute1.wordpress.com