Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Polar M400

2 watchers
May 2016
9:20pm, 13 May 2016
132 posts
Gruntfuttock
I'm thinking of buying a Polar M400. Any users that could tell me what they think of it as a running watch and general fitness monitor etc? Is it any good / reliable etc
Thanks.
May 2016
9:26pm, 13 May 2016
476 posts
Uyuni
I've had one for 18 months and really like it. Not top of the range obviously, but for what it costs I'd say it is brilliant. I only use it for running rather than the general fitness stuff. The wireless syncing app is much improved recently and the early design flaw with the charging cable has I think been resolved.
May 2016
9:30pm, 13 May 2016
133 posts
Gruntfuttock
That's great thanks, I thought it looked good for the price.. Do you use the finish time estimator function?
May 2016
9:34pm, 13 May 2016
477 posts
Uyuni
I have done but with the vagaries of GPS it can be dangerous to rely on - had me finishing the London Marathon half way along the Embankment :-)

The "back to start" thing is cool though when you get lost running somewhere new
May 2016
9:40pm, 13 May 2016
134 posts
Gruntfuttock
Yes that could be really useful! Especially when on holidays. I once did 10 miles in the dark - I was just supposed to be doing 4 when staying overnight in the Midlands!

Does the finish time estimator give you the time left to run, (eg: you will finish in 15 minutes) and/or does it tell you your overall finish time time (eg: at this pace you will finish your 10k in an overall time of 50 minutes)?
Sorry for all the questions, but the reviews don't make this clear.
May 2016
7:59am, 17 May 2016
489 posts
Uyuni
Sorry GF missed your reply. Yes it tells you your estimated finish time, so when you sprint off the line in a 10K it says something like 30 mins which can be pretty alarming but good for getting you to slow down. It then takes a while to settle down and the longer you go into the race the more "accurate" it becomes.

Obviously that depends on the GPS measurement matching up with the actual distance which often isn't the case but it also displays distance run so you can see if it you are out of kilter with the mile markers.

It's a really good watch with loads of different display options, decent battery life and reasonable software
May 2016
8:00am, 17 May 2016
490 posts
Uyuni
So to be clear it shows the estimated overall finish time (not the time left to run)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gruntfuttock
I'm thinking of buying a Polar M400. Any users that could tell me what they think of it as a runnin...