Please recommend me a turbo trainer

1 watcher
Aug 2018
9:04am, 22 Aug 2018
15,689 posts
  •  
Stander
I need to get my flabby arse fit again.
I could take out the old and aging mountain bike for a spin, or I could stick it in my mancave
and get a turbo. Any suggestions on which (budget) turbo would be best.
Aug 2018
9:33am, 22 Aug 2018
5,400 posts
  •  
larkim
I got this wiggle.co.uk at Christmas, though not used it hugely. Quiet, easy to set up, and resistance increases simply as you change gears on the bike, so the feel is nice and realistic. Not "smart" by design, so whilst you could have fun adding sensors to the bike and playing with things like Zwift it's not as good as those ones which automatically make the pedalling harder when Zwift wants you to be heading uphill etc etc.

Riding outdoors is much more fun though! I bought the trainer so I could ride if running-injured in cold, wet winters.
Aug 2018
9:52am, 22 Aug 2018
15,690 posts
  •  
Stander
Cheers - but a little on the pricey side though compared to some.
Aug 2018
9:53am, 22 Aug 2018
553 posts
  •  
UsedToRunaBit
What's your budget (desirable and max willing to spend) and do you want it to be "smart" i.e. be controlled from a resistance point of view from an app like Zwift? Do you care about power/watts, racing, doing structured sessions, or just something to whack the bike on (MTB or road?) on and happy to stare at a wall and will look at your HR to determine how hard you working?
Aug 2018
10:03am, 22 Aug 2018
15,691 posts
  •  
Stander
I (for now) just want to wack the MTB on a stand and pedal a bit. Get the heart working a little and try and get some form of fitness back. And maybe shed some of the two stone I have put on since I stopped running!!!!!

I've done a little more readin up on these now and I gather I can increase the reistance but just changing gears?

And I'm not fussed about tracking my heartrate, etc although I do have an apple watch that might have something that covers this anyway.
Aug 2018
10:12am, 22 Aug 2018
5,401 posts
  •  
larkim
Having ridden once on a cheap as chips one I think making sure a) it isn't too noisy and b) it pedals smoothly are the two most important things if you're not interested in anything "smart".

This halfords one at £50 seems to get OK reviews, this is one where you mount the resistance change dial on the handlebars for your bike so instead of changing resistance with gears you use the controller that comes with the turbo.

Short of 2nd hand, don't think you'd get much cheaper than that. Wonder if Halfords would have one on display to test out?
Aug 2018
5:19pm, 22 Aug 2018
4,960 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
wiggle.co.uk

Work your way through these and decide. Like everything you get what you pay for. I think I would be tempted by the Elite bundle at half price if I was looking for new.Change your mtb tyre and put a slick tyre on the back wheel, it will be easier pedalling.
Aug 2018
11:20am, 23 Aug 2018
15,693 posts
  •  
Stander
I wonder whether this one will do? Any comments?

amazon.co.uk
Aug 2018
7:23am, 26 Aug 2018
33,016 posts
  •  
Nellers
"You get what you pay for" is probably a good guide here, mate. It looks like it will do what it says on the tin: It's a basic tt and it will clamp your bike on it and add resistance when you turn the pedals and that's pretty much it. It's probably going to be quite noisy and it's probably not going to feel very smooth, although I could be wrong there. I've not tried it myself.

If it's just a case of getting something to get going with, though, give it a punt. It's not very expensive so if you buy it and hate turboing you've not wasted a fortune, and if you decide it's not up to snuff then you can upgrade and you've not wasted a fortune.

(Slight tangent but if you're not going "smart" and getting drawn into Zwift and the like give this a go
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPvjahSsyFcu8HG1tvqMZSA
. That should get you to the YouTube page for CTXC, and aussie cycling club who post up turbo interval sessions of varying lengths and intensity. It makes the time pass by and it makes sure you don't just spin gently and achieve nowt.)

Let us know what you decide, mate. Good luck with it.
Aug 2018
9:06am, 26 Aug 2018
4,962 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Missed your post S
In my opinion you will be wasting your money. Never heard of them and I,ve been around cycling for a long time. Elite, Tacx, Cyclops have been building trainers for yonks, this Amazon link looks to be a very cheap Chinese knock-off

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I need to get my flabby arse fit again.
I could take out the old and aging mountain bike for a spin...