Please help - sudden hip pain

3 watchers
Oct 2012
6:59pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,366 posts
  •  
Lyns
I have mostly been mountain biking lately but started running with about 3.5k last week building up to 5k, I ran a nice 6km yesterday with no niggles, feeling good.

This morning I woke with no pain at all, sat in an armchair for about an hour then when I went to stand I couldn't :-(

Now my left hip is really really sore, it hurts when I go from sitting to standing and I can't weight bear on it at all for the first few steps then slowly hobbling it eases off after about a minute.. but it starts again if i sit for even just a few minutes. The pain is sort of front, outside, but mainly inside and i can't really point to it from the outside.

I've done some 'normal' stretches and although my quads are a bit tight the left is no tighter than the right and nothing I can massage or stretch is particularly tight or sore - the only thing that hurts is walking... and that REALLY hurts.
Oct 2012
8:01pm, 23 Oct 2012
68,142 posts
  •  
santababy
:( cant help but boinging it for docs
Oct 2012
8:13pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,369 posts
  •  
Lyns
thanks santa
Oct 2012
10:05pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,929 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
hip flexor? it springs to mind because I'm having trouble with mine and I've struggled in the same way to describe how/where it hurts.
Oct 2012
10:11pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,472 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
Hip (trochanteric?) bursitis? That can come on quite suddenly as you describe.
Oct 2012
10:14pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,371 posts
  •  
Lyns
so how can i tell the difference between the hip flexor and bursitis? i guess if i try some hip flexor stretches and it's tight that might be an indication - susiesueH - have you got any good hip flexor stretches?

tonight i did a bit of foam rollering to see if it was just tightness causing it (even though i didn't think so, really i supose i just wanted to do something rather than just sit and stew). i've also taken to only sitting on the floor and not in the squidgy armchair or sofa that caused it.
Oct 2012
10:20pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,932 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
lazydaisy could be onto something re burisitis & sudden pain.

The only hip flexor stretch I know is the one where you do a sort of kneeling down lunge. Number 13 at the following link: aikido-reading.co.uk
Oct 2012
10:31pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,372 posts
  •  
Lyns
hmmm... the buritis sounds likely (and i have tight glutes which could have caused it) but i don't have any pain lying on my side and no pain on the outside of my hip no matter how much i prod it.

Hip flexor stretches don't really hurt either.

It feels totally fine till i stand up and then it's excruciating when the weight first goes onto that leg and i am hobbling around like Dr House :-(

I guess if it's not better tomorrow (and definitely if it's worse) i'd better book a physio. This is one of the most severe hurts i've had - I can't even get around the office.
Oct 2012
10:41pm, 23 Oct 2012
1,476 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
Hope you get sorted quickly.

When I had my bursitis I couldn't bear to lie on that side, so maybe yours is not that.
Oct 2012
10:48pm, 23 Oct 2012
5,750 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I had really bad hip last winter I remember on day before Xmas Eve looking after my friends & my cousins kids & I could barely walk def couldn't stand or get from sit to stand easily. Turned out to be ITB rested for a couple of weeks & massage from sports therapist & *touchwood* it improved

Good luck getting it fixed. Running is good for us though, I'm sure ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by
I have mostly been mountain biking lately but started running with about 3.5k last week building up ...