Plantar Fasciitis??

2 lurkers | 106 watchers
Oct 2020
4:49pm, 26 Oct 2020
10,311 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Putting my thinking head on (which doesn't happen often) I am wondering if the increase in cycling (and lack of stretching) is the main culprit..although its not a great deal of mileage for some, it is for me this year as life has taken over exercise.

I am now stretching lots
Oct 2020
6:19pm, 26 Oct 2020
19,419 posts
  •  
Serendippily
When it started to get bad for me I think I made it worse by increasing walking, often carrying shopping or a work bag - it is all linked to load. And it got worse than when I was doing a little exercise to loosen up and stretching. I couldn’t feel any tension in calf stretches at all - only when I started to improve did I realise that was because my calves were pretty much rigid.

Podiatrists hate Skechers because they don’t have any insoles and tend to have lots of cushioning but no support. If you aren’t using insoles I’m not sure their horror is justified ...
Oct 2020
6:55pm, 26 Oct 2020
18,311 posts
  •  
Rosehip
That depends on the Sketchers though - and really only applies to the old ones. The pair I'm wearing now have thick gel-type insoles. No arch support - but is that bad?
Oct 2020
7:05pm, 26 Oct 2020
10,312 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I have a very high arch and overpronate, plus my opposite leg is the one I have bad OA in the knee.

The one I am suffering with is the one I broke my 5th metatarsal one and it has never been right since. (sounds right mess don't I lol)
Oct 2020
7:14pm, 26 Oct 2020
19,423 posts
  •  
Serendippily
It might be worth seeing someone like Paul because of your OA and the original potential misdiagnosis of PF. His initial consultation was £95 which came off the cost of the insoles if you pursued them but he did review the foot and video the angle you stepped and it became clear where the neuromas were the issue. It is a lot to pay but I paid more in other quick fixes with people who had much less expertise.
Ross was interesting in that the research suggests steroids and surgery all have the same pathway as no action: in 2 years it mostly clears up for most people.
But I went to Paul in quite a degree of pain, some of which was caused by activity and shoes I’d bought believing they would help. And his advice has given me a pathway through to where pain is rarely an issue and I’ve built up miles, but only gradually
Oct 2020
7:26pm, 26 Oct 2020
18,312 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Not at all Mandy - and it's also worth having a think about older injuries too.

But the OA in one knee tending to PF in the other foot is typical of your body compensating/protecting the knee and causing overuse on the other side.

I've been reading "Even with your shoes on" by Helen Hall. She is a biomechanics movement guru who I came across after listening to a couple of podcasts. She has a Vimeo channel with some weird movement exercises on

vimeo.com

I found her book a bit hard going and she's a bit hippy-drippy, but the concept of our joints being stuck open or closed by previous injuries and it might be worth working through a few of the movements and seeing if there is an obvious sticking point?
Oct 2020
7:29pm, 26 Oct 2020
10,313 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Thanks both - lots to think about and research time. 😁

Just finished another session on the turbo followed bya good stretch. Will use my spikey ball in a moment and need to deal with the fact that the foot burns up at night too
Oct 2020
7:31pm, 26 Oct 2020
18,313 posts
  •  
Rosehip
(Oh and you need to start with the sagittal cog on page 3 and slowly work to page 1)
Oct 2020
9:08pm, 27 Oct 2020
332 posts
  •  
whiteflash
I’m so fed up of PF. 4 months today. Had a bit of improvement about 3 weeks ago but it has returned to the bad ways. I know others on here have struggled longer and worse, but it is so annoying! I want to go and visit a magic cure physio but I no they don’t exist.
Oct 2020
2:32pm, 31 Oct 2020
1,186 posts
  •  
SusiesueHarp
Hello folks, would PF explain a pain (dull, achey type) on the outer edge of the foot or is PF only on the inner/underside of the foot?

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
Hi guys & gals

I know this will have been covered loads of times before but I’m just wondering ...

Couple of links from HappyG(rrr) & CableTow

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=425

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=508