Pisa Marathon (Dec 2013)

1 watcher
Aug 2013
5:38pm, 9 Aug 2013
24 posts
  •  
sahorsb
Hello! Must admit, it's been a couple of years since I've been on Fetch but since getting back into my running seriously, thought this would be the best place to ask if anybody had any experience of running the Pisa marathon. Any advice as to the event itself, whether it's a fast one etc. would be much appreciated.

I would prefer to go with another more established event, but the reason in choosing Pisa is that I work at sea (hence my running has fallen by the wayside for a bit) and it fits in best with my up and coming leave rotations (it's on 15th December).

Any help / thoughts would be hugely appreciated before I go ahead and register.

Cheers,
SAHorsb
Aug 2013
5:41pm, 9 Aug 2013
400 posts
  •  
claramac
I ran this in 2011 and thought it was great! Would definitely go back and do it again.
Aug 2013
5:57pm, 9 Aug 2013
25 posts
  •  
sahorsb
Cheers claramac. Think I'll book it - seems to be hee haw else to run round about then in terms of european marathons. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Sort of hoping to beat my previous marathon best (3:00:09) in Amsterdam - those nine/ten seconds have been a monkey on my back ever since! Not too sure Pisa will lend itself to this, but fingers crossed I guess.
Aug 2013
6:11pm, 9 Aug 2013
555 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Portsmouth Coastal a little closer to home, or there's a few small 100 club events dotted around. Quite fancy Pisa myself - have friends living not too far from there... hmmm
Aug 2013
10:33pm, 9 Aug 2013
8,251 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
I have a friend who I think ran Pisa last year as part of her 12 marathons in 12 month challenge. I think she still visits Fetch to log training, might be worth a fmail as she doesn't use the forums. MissK is her username.
Aug 2013
10:40pm, 9 Aug 2013
8,549 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I did it the year before last. It's a nice race. Quite a scenic course and very flat. There's some seriously long straights. The weather was about 13 degrees at the start and the Italians were wearing leggings, gloves, hats :-) It's not a race with massive crowds after the first few/last few miles.

Pisa itself... I'd recommended staying in Florence and getting the train in. Unless you're going to fly in, run, and leave straight after. It's a strangely miserable place, despite looking ok at first. I had one of the worst pasta dishes I've ever had there! The countryside around it is very nice, though.
Aug 2013
11:28pm, 9 Aug 2013
7,281 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Dont stay here...
booking.com
Worst hotel I ever stayed in . A complete dump
Aug 2013
11:29pm, 9 Aug 2013
7,282 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
don't know what happened there with all the :P but the link works.
Aug 2013
11:53pm, 9 Aug 2013
7,338 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Worst ever? Quite a feat :-P

As an alternative place to stay or visit, Lucca is a lovely walled city, about a half an hour inland by train.
Aug 2013
7:13am, 10 Aug 2013
12,719 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Lucca is beautiful :-)

If you want to stay in Pisa try here
hotelbologna.pisa.it

The breakfast is amazing.

I'd love to run Pisa but I work in retail so can't get time off in December.
*makes note to get a new job*

About This Thread

Maintained by sahorsb
Hello! Must admit, it's been a couple of years since I've been on Fetch but since getting back int...