Piriformis Syndrome

12 watchers
Jan 2018
9:36pm, 15 Jan 2018
3,517 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I have suffered with PS for most of my running life (at least 8 years), never bad enough to interrupt training much, but a pain in the bum nonetheless. I've found the greatest benefit outside running: driving is a major cause of trouble (I am fortunate in being able to minimise that), and using a saddle seat at work seems a big help. It is also less of a problem now I am a better trained ultra runner so maybe I've improved the condition of surrounding muscles.

Stretches have always helped me in short term pain relief but I'm not diligent enough to know if they would have long-term benefit.
Nov 2018
6:25pm, 2 Nov 2018
2,732 posts
  •  
Hohum
I've just got this at the mo and it has stopped me running. I saw a fellow fell runner osteopath who has given me a pile of stretches for it, and also the hamstrings which are a bit tight, it seems to be improving.
Nov 2018
12:48am, 3 Nov 2018
4,171 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Hope it improves for you Hohum. I hardly ever get bothered now if I avoid long drives.
Nov 2018
8:38pm, 4 Nov 2018
2,735 posts
  •  
Hohum
It has more or less cleared up superbly, Saturday I was able to do a decent fell race on it no bother, so it's back to full training, delighted, but got to keep the flexibility up.
May 2019
11:47am, 7 May 2019
7,421 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm self diagnosing myself with piriformis syndrome at the moment as something which is annoying, sometimes quite painful but doesn't appear to be causing me any running issues.

All on my left leg, occasional shooting pains or painful dull ache especially when sat down on my work chair or driving our big family "bus".

I'm not very good at following stretching regimes, and have no plans to see a physio or doc about it unless it gets much worse.

Any good regimes to follow to keep things at bay?
May 2019
11:57am, 7 May 2019
13,577 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Cannot recommend the pigeon fold stretch enough - it is hugely helpful, the clam exercise is also good - with both, little and often is effective - only a few minutes a day and you will notice an improvement. Sitting on a tennis ball - if you get the right spot, is painful but effective
May 2019
10:38am, 8 May 2019
7,434 posts
  •  
larkim
I did spend a week at work occasionally sitting on a golf ball in what felt like some form of trigger spot - harder, but smaller so easier to sit on!

Will have a look at those stretches, thanks AL!
May 2019
11:27am, 8 May 2019
31,299 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Stretches larks mate, and self massage (not as dodgy as it sounds!) - I use spiky ball or roller, rather than golf ball. Mine was very painful, esp sitting at desk or in car. Felt it running but more sitting. Good luck with sorting. :-) G
May 2019
11:31am, 8 May 2019
4,634 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Pigeon fold stretch worked well for me at times.
May 2019
11:35am, 8 May 2019
7,853 posts
  •  
becca7
If the piriformis is acting up it's often on account of lazy glutes but the problem is not in the glutes it's in the hip flexors and the tightness there is preventing the glutes from functioning properly. This was certainly the case with me as a desk job leads to tight hip flexors. The couch stretch is a good one.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Been suffering pain in butt for weeks. Stretch regularly and weekly sports massages. Pelvis was aske...