pins and needles?

2 watchers
Nov 2011
3:59pm, 9 Nov 2011
4 posts
  •  
whiskey
help, just getting back into running after many years absence, so starting right back at the begining again.

i keep getting pins and needles in my legs and feet when i get just past the mile mark, they start in the outside edge of my right shin then spread into my feet (the whole foot) the the left toes join in and work up over by the time i've reached 1.5 miles i cant really feel my right leg and my left isn't much better and i can't go on. i've always suffered with this problem when running, have had various style of shoe over the year after store recommendations, one said i over pronatated another said i didn't (i'm non the wiser) but non of the shoes resloved this issue, so i don't think its the shoes. i think its me. i have suffered with sciatica in the past but only very mildly and not whilst i was running regularly, the only back pain i get is an ache across the back just below the shoulder blades and this isn't normally when running (which surprised me). i'm currently running a mix of road and forest trail.

any recommendations woud be grateful as the mile mark is starting to become a mental barrier now that i'm getting afraid to cross.
Nov 2011
4:08pm, 9 Nov 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
Autumnleaves
I sometimes get pins & needles in my feet - once so badly that my right foot felt quite numb (running on it felt very strange). I found that only ever wearing trainer liner socks - and not lacing my shoes too tight solved the problem. Sounds really basic but if you flex your foot towards you as you tie the knot in your laces you have enough give. If this doesn't work could be worth seeing a physio. Good luck!
Nov 2011
6:50pm, 9 Nov 2011
438 posts
  •  
Ian M
Hi Whiskey.

As AutumnLeaves says (Welcome Autumn btw) have a look at how you lace the shoes. Lots of people lace their shoes far too tightly. As a rule of thumb you should almost if not quite actually be able to get them off without unlacing them. The uppers should never be tight over the top of the foot and the shoes themselves should have plenty of room in them. If they haven't then you need to go up a size. You'd be surprised at how many folk wear shoes that are far too small.

Maybe these two vids I did ages ago will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdfebedAxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DGa0c_Uj0
Nov 2011
6:57pm, 9 Nov 2011
6 posts
  •  
whiskey
thanks for the advice folks, am at work right now so can't see the vids (i'm just grateful i can get on the forum, most are blocked) but will have a look when i get home and see if i can work out if it is my laces or not
Nov 2011
4:12pm, 10 Nov 2011
11 posts
  •  
whiskey
thanks for those videos Ian, i watched them this morning, maybe my laces were too tight after all, i went for a run this morning and didn't tighten them so much and actually went over the mile barrier no problem (well apart from being completely knackered) felt very odd though having them a bit looser may be interesting to see how it goes when i'm up in the forest next week
Nov 2011
9:06pm, 10 Nov 2011
439 posts
  •  
Ian M
Whiskey, sounds like you are on the right track (or trail) :-) It's a bit strange to start with but you will enjoy the feeling of foot freedom it gives and it will save you from injury. Let us know how you get on. :-)
Nov 2011
9:08pm, 10 Nov 2011
12,883 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I've been getting pins and needles in my right foot just recently - usuall between miles 3 and 5. I'm putting it down to either old shoes or lack of arch support. For some reason it usually goes away by about mile 6.
Nov 2011
9:19pm, 10 Nov 2011
552 posts
  •  
SuperDave!
Thanks for posting that vid Ian, Good tips.
Nov 2011
9:30pm, 10 Nov 2011
7,191 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
I've also gone up 2 sizes in running shoes and again I've had no problems since.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by whiskey
help, just getting back into running after many years absence, so starting right back at the beginin...