Pilates

7 watchers
Nov 2014
4:06pm, 4 Nov 2014
4,974 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've been doing a local class of Reformer Pilates (uses a machine) for about 6 weeks now - an hour a week, it's pretty intensive but I am really enjoying it. The teacher is very aware of what we all do - run, cycle etc, and differentiates exercises well. I do try and do small sets of other core exercises at home too. I find it has really helped my back and improved the flexibility in my legs around the ITB and hamstrings.
Nov 2014
4:56pm, 4 Nov 2014
2,404 posts
  •  
Curly45
Pilates has been amazing for me :) sounds like your class is too easy. My abs ache for days after mine. Especially when we use the Tye four bungee things.

Off to try Bikram yoga on Friday as well to add another to the cross train list :)
Nov 2014
5:56pm, 4 Nov 2014
11,409 posts
  •  
danny wilde
I've been doing Pilates for a few years with the same instructor. Most, if not all of the exercises have a more strenuous version which she takes great pleasure in watching me attempt when I get bored. Stick with it and ask the teacher for alternative exercises, or as you said try another class. My abs never hurt on the day of the class but 24 hours later I know about it. Good luck :)
Nov 2014
6:32pm, 4 Nov 2014
957 posts
  •  
Tikka
GF, I did a term of pilates classes and, like you, came away with the impression that it was a complete waste of time because I could do the exercises easily, felt no benefit, and was bored senseless. I was persuaded by a friend to try a different class, and this time the teacher insisted on a one-to-one session for each person before signing up for the block of classes. It was only when I had my one-to-one that I realised why I'd found the previous classes too easy - I wasn't engaging *any* of the right muscles! Even if you end up going to the same class you're at now, it would be well worth paying for a one-to-one lesson with a recommended instructor, so that you know what muscles you're meant to be engaging. They certainly weren't the ones I thought they were!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
Hello

So I have been to a lunchtime class a couple of times, as I have had back issues for 6 mont...