Pick your feet up !!!

10 watchers
Sep 2012
9:57pm, 17 Sep 2012
96 posts
  •  
London Nici
It seems my mother may be right and I indeed do need to pick my feet up.

I have just been a little vain and looked through the photos from Saturdays race hoping for at least one nice flattering one that did not have my face the same colour as my hair. No chance.

What struck me though in all 21 pictures my feet are barely off the ground. Now one or two I could accept as timing on the photographers part but all 21!

Is it possible that this is a) why I have fallen flat on my face twice recently and b) why I seem to get looks of sympathy from onlookers as I obviously look like I am struggling?

How can I train myself to pick my feet up? Do I even need to? Will it improve my time if I do?
Sep 2012
6:55am, 18 Sep 2012
781 posts
  •  
rosehip
Good question I'd like the answer to too :)

*Bump
Sep 2012
7:19am, 18 Sep 2012
5,604 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hi I don't really know the answer but I realised during a race this year when I went for a 'sprint' finish looking at the garmin later my pace was so fast and I know I'd lifted my feet up. I've tried introducing it into my runs and it certainly makes a difference so I'm trying to be more conscious about picking up my feet.

Give it a go & see how you get on & how you feel with it, just little bits each run. Good luck.
Sep 2012
7:34am, 18 Sep 2012
10,010 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Not sure how you can teach yourself to pick up you feet, I suspect if your increase strength and flexibility and have a stronger core with focus on technique would help.

I have noticed that those runners who are likely to win races just about kick their bums with their ankles and have high knee lift, those at the back of the field barely lift feet off the ground, I am one of those.
Sep 2012
7:34am, 18 Sep 2012
21,102 posts
  •  
cabletow
One way to think of running is..... Flying through the air between steps.
In order for you to fly, you have to give your feet time in the air
You can either Do this by reaching forward or by pulling your foot higher towards your bottom.

Do the l latter and you will fly, do the former and you will thump the ground and it will hurt
Sep 2012
8:32am, 18 Sep 2012
1,107 posts
  •  
Curly45
The high knee back kick is a result of good running technique - like a by-product rather than the aim.

The way I did it:
transitioned slowly to lighter shoes so I could feel my feet
did strides as form work twice a week, one with leaning in starts
did core work to enable me to lift myself upright

think about a credit card in between your bum cheeks, you are trying to hold it there

have patience it takes a long time and is part of becoming a better runner rather than overnight results!

I know these videos are for kids but actually they are quite useful to look at.
nyrrf.org

We do a lot of these drills at club - fast feet and stuff like that.

Beware relying on photos for form feedback though - I often get snapped on the down movement and look a bit squashed but then get snapped later through the step and it looks much better. Ideally you need a video...
Sep 2012
8:46am, 18 Sep 2012
1,057 posts
  •  
Pestomum
I don't know about (a) but (b) is certainly not true. That's you projecting your own feelings of not being good enough onto other people.
They're impressed that you're putting the effort in to run :-)
Sep 2012
8:46am, 18 Sep 2012
218 posts
  •  
Fitz
Same for me London Nici, my race photos always look like I'm barely moving and in a world of pain. I'd like to improve my technique as I think it might improve my speed and stamina but don't really know where / how to start.
Sep 2012
8:50am, 18 Sep 2012
1,109 posts
  •  
Curly45
Definitely check out the drills - once a week will be fine

Also you can (but be very careful doing this as it hurts your achilles the first few times) buy track spikes and do drills at the track, then change into your normal trainers and do some running. You will notice the difference!
Sep 2012
9:04am, 18 Sep 2012
1,254 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Get the posture right, get the cadence to around 180 regardless of how fast you run (within reason - sprinting will be higher).

You will feel very very upright or maybe even like you are leaning backwards (if you have a bad case of bending forwards). Get someone to film you running to make sure your posture is correct.

You will then start picking the feet up proeprly, as you can't do much else with the above points being right or you would fall flat on your face!

Running takes a lot of strength to hold correct posture. Most people who lack strength, bend at the waist and that makes it so you don't pick your feet up because your cadence goes too slow and you end up walking with a hop rather than running.

About This Thread

Maintained by Beanie Boat Nici
It seems my mother may be right and I indeed do need to pick my feet up.

I have just been a littl...