Pi Club

39 watchers
Jan 2021
3:42pm, 4 Jan 2021
6,630 posts
  •  
bigleggy
OH bought a new Fitbit over Christmas and my Pi-Hole was blocking her from using it. So I disabled it for a while to allow her to set it up.

Then the dhcp server stopped issuing IP Addresses and the world went into the dark ages.

Rebooted but it's not come back online. Had to revert to dhcp from my Virgin router to get the family back online but when I look at attached devices the pi isn't listed.

Need to get a monitor on it so I can find out if there is an error. Worked so well up to this point :-/
Jan 2021
4:42pm, 4 Jan 2021
19,611 posts
  •  
flanker
you can ssh onto it from another device (assuming it's still got an IP address).

My PiHole has also died but not yet got around to looking at it :-)
Jan 2021
9:08pm, 4 Jan 2021
6,631 posts
  •  
bigleggy
It should have a static IP but its not there :-/

Can't understand why disabling the ad blocker for 10 mins would bring the whole thing down.......
Jan 2021
9:43pm, 4 Jan 2021
4,153 posts
  •  
FergusG
Some routers don’t show all the connected devices, even when they’re quite clearly online. Have you tried the Fing app on your phone or tablet to get a second opinion on what’s connected (and with what address)?
Jan 2021
8:41am, 5 Jan 2021
6,632 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Haven't tried that App Fergus but thanks for the tip.

The router used to show the Pi on the network but updates have been run on the pi at least twice since I last took any real notice of it so things could have changed.
rhb
Jan 2021
8:49pm, 5 Jan 2021
1,549 posts
  •  
rhb
^ is the pi using ethernet or Wlan connection?
Jan 2021
9:03pm, 5 Jan 2021
6,634 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Ethernet rhb
Jan 2021
9:29pm, 5 Jan 2021
360 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
You'll have thought of all of this, but if not:

- Look at the SD card of the Pi-hole Pi with another Pi or Linux machine using a USB card reader. You'll be able to see the IP configuration.

- If you didn't this time, always set up a Pi, particularly the headless variety, with a fixed IP address so that it can be found and accessed easily using SSH. For local network information, 'Advanced IP Scanner' is free and works well on a PC and even allows for easy file transfer across the local network.

- Try the possibly errant SD card in another Pi to see if it boots.

How did you access the Pi-hole to disable it? Was it just powered off and is there a chance that it corrupted the SD card? Is it a Zero and do you lack a suitable HDMI cable? It's a pain needing different cables for Pi 1-3, Pi 4 and Zero. If a monitor is lacking or doesn't have an HDMI input, HDMI into a TV.
rhb
Jan 2021
9:54pm, 5 Jan 2021
1,550 posts
  •  
rhb
^^ have you jiggled the cable about at both sockets? My one comes loose occasionally at the pi end but still appears plugged in. No satisfying click in place unlike on the router.

Also is it an older version virgin router? We got a hub 3.0 recently as the old one gave up the ghost and it has been very simple to work with (so far, touchwood).
Jan 2021
3:37pm, 9 Jan 2021
6,641 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Finally dragged a monitor and keyboard over to my pi

It was sitting there looking for a backup disk I'd removed :-/

Lesson learnt. Thanks for the help

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I thought I'd start a thread for Raspberry Pi fans. This is it :-)