Pi Club

39 watchers
Aug 2020
11:37am, 24 Aug 2020
24,568 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Other potential uses:

1) encouraging Stephen to drink from his water bowl (he appears to be frightened of still water).
2) Jack Daniels and ginger ale maker :-)
Aug 2020
11:55am, 24 Aug 2020
13,127 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Just seen mattglen's post (from 2018 :-( unfortunately). If anyone is ever looking for computer science or electronics internships as part of their degree, please do fmail me.

I attended a hackathon organised by AgriTech East a year or so back, and got to play with some very fancy indoor vertical farming kit that was circulating water & nutrients directly to the roots of plants, controlled by a Raspberry Pi (+ relays, pumps etc.)
Aug 2020
12:05pm, 24 Aug 2020
24,569 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Ooh, got any pics / links? That sounds cool.
Aug 2020
12:17pm, 24 Aug 2020
24,570 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Also... I came home from Wales with 3-4 rolls of cine film that my grandfather took, along with an old projector. My nephew got the mechanism unclogged, but unfortunately was a bit too liberal with the WD40, so has blown the bulb and fuse. But it just occurred to me that I might be able to use stepper motors to pull the film past a Raspberry Pi camera, and have it take pictures frame by frame, then stitch them all together.

I've just googled it, and found someone who has done exactly that:

raspberrypi.org

Pretty awesome :-) And I love the body of the projector he built too - very stylish.
Aug 2020
12:18pm, 24 Aug 2020
24,571 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
[NB I do know that there are services online where you can send off your reels for conversion, which will probably be the better short-term bet. But once we've got the digital versions, the originals are there to be played with!]
Aug 2020
12:20pm, 24 Aug 2020
11,310 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I might have to build one of these autowaterers for my greenhouse....

Which raises a slight issue of how to transfer water to a recepticle for use...
Aug 2020
12:22pm, 24 Aug 2020
13,128 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Not for the exact thing that I was playing with, but if you search for raspberry pi aquaponics or vertical farming, you can see plenty of interesting examples.

The man behind this company aponic.co.uk was judging the hackathon, not sure what hardware his system was using (and judging by the lack of recent web updates, not sure whether they're still going.)
Aug 2020
12:41pm, 24 Aug 2020
268 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
rf_fozzy, I've been designing an irrigation system in my head for ages. Sadly, I haven't built it yet and it's nearly September - again! I've been using a Pi vent control system for 7 years in a polytunnel and the prototype was so robust that I've never polished it into the final version.

Water butts? Or just a long garden hose from an outside tap to get started? Or manually fill a large barrel once a week? I'd over-engineer triple fail-safes for mains, but that's my own problem of not wanting to find my project has destroyed itself when I've been away. How about a mains supplied ball float in a water butt just outside of the greenhouse and feed it from guttering later? Mains pressure and reducers mean solenoid valves and no pumps. But then again, in most cases only one pump is needed followed by a cunning arrangement of valves or, like Fetch, a pump and no valves for simplicity. Submersible pumps can be quite economical and low pressure outputs are compatible with irrigation.

Running a Pi headless adds to the fun: power solutions, network connections, web pages, controlling it, decent logging to figure out what went wrong. It's fun engineering all round really.
Aug 2020
12:48pm, 24 Aug 2020
24,572 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The depth of water in my project is limited by the length of wires on the pump. If I let the join go into the water, then the circuit gets shorted. But I thought about attaching a float to the join (just like a small plastic drinks bottle with the lid on), so that as the water level drops, the pump will sink with it. Or the other option is just to have a very wide water vessel :-)
Aug 2020
12:48pm, 24 Aug 2020
24,573 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Cerrer - thank you, I will take a look.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I thought I'd start a thread for Raspberry Pi fans. This is it :-)