Phones

5 watchers
Sep 2020
12:34pm, 3 Sep 2020
11,817 posts
  •  
larkim
Had numerous Motorola Moto G models over the last few years throughout our house. Simple, reliable, cheap. There's usually a model size to suit all pockets (literally) and all of them are fairly good performance wise. Definitely better vfm in my world to spend £150 on a mid-range budget phone than £800 on a high end one.
Sep 2020
1:57pm, 3 Sep 2020
197 posts
  •  
Spanners99
just shelled out 419 quid for sansung a71. first time in decades bought phone rather than contract. seems decent option.
Sep 2020
4:15pm, 7 Sep 2020
43,719 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Found a decent priced Honor 8S with 4.5stars from 5.
Says it has 64GB ROM and 3GB RAM and also a dual nano SIM giving up to 512GB.
Bearing in mind I don't do music on my phone nor emails and stuff....is this an okay purchase? I liked the fact it was only a 5.71" screen
Sep 2020
4:21pm, 7 Sep 2020
11,844 posts
  •  
larkim
My son has an Honor phone, it's been really good.

My only caveat is that when comparing Honor (or Huawei) phones with the Motorolo Moto G range, the Honor phones have customised Android a little more than I would like, and I have heard tell that you need to watch out for their power management as it can result in apps that you depend on for notificaitons (e.g. Whatsapp) being relegated to the background and effectively going "to sleep". That being said, my son hasn't had any issues, and my better half's Huawei doesn't cause these problems.

I do prefer the "pure" Android of Motorola though...
Sep 2020
4:25pm, 7 Sep 2020
11,845 posts
  •  
larkim
Not quite as big in terms of memory etc, but this is a good phone for the money.

amazon.co.uk
Sep 2020
4:27pm, 7 Sep 2020
43,720 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Thanks Larkim, will go and have a look.
Sep 2020
4:34pm, 7 Sep 2020
2,223 posts
  •  
Oranj
@Larkim I've got that Moto play G7, mainly for the smaller size. It seems powerful enough for most apps.

I've stuck a monster sized MicroSD card in it for music/photo storage (although apps seem to go in the 32GB phone memory unless you reformat the MicroSD card which I didn't want to do, for ease of access, copying files, etc.)
Sep 2020
4:42pm, 7 Sep 2020
11,848 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd definitely recommend using the ROM for apps - the Moto G7Play in our house is one of my other son's and in the past I'd bought very cheap phones and tried to run apps off the SD card due to limited ROM on the phone itself. Generally a recipe for poor performance!

32GB for apps is more than enough for mere mortals. In fact, if you use a backup app like Google Photos I'd say it's enough for all storage (as you can trust the sync and delete local copies), unless you really need to have loads and loads of music downloaded too.

My son runs games like Minecraft on it without problem, plus the usual Insta, Facebook, Messenger, fart noises (!), Star Wars themes etc, and it is now updated to Android 10 which is bizarrely a higher version of Android than my more expensive (and newer) Moto G8+ !!
Sep 2020
4:45pm, 7 Sep 2020
43,721 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Think you sound like a good salesman to a mere mortal like me then :-)
Sep 2020
4:46pm, 7 Sep 2020
11,498 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Larkim/Oranj - what's the actual physical size (h x w x d) of the G7?

Just so I can compare with my G2...(yes really) - It's gonna be bigger (as I can't find anything with a 4.7" screen now, except an iPhone which are expensive, even used older models), but I'd like to know how much bigger.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lip Gloss
I have always had contract phones but am now sim only so looking just to buy a phone.
I just use m...