Phantom by Jo Nesbo - Fetch Book Group discussion thread

3 watchers
Dec 2015
4:33pm, 1 Dec 2015
19,850 posts
  •  
McGoohan
If you have read Phantom by Jo Nesbo, why not share your thoughts here.

If you haven't read it, it turns out he's a ghost.

Other spoilers may occur below, so beware!
Dec 2015
8:38pm, 1 Dec 2015
701 posts
  •  
westmoors
LOL!

Having never read any Nesbo and knowing nothing about the Harry Cole series, I entered this with an open mind. Surprisingly I enjoyed it.

I loved the narrative from the dying/dead victim. Thought that was a very clever way to relate some aspects of the history of the story.
Dec 2015
9:22pm, 1 Dec 2015
2,432 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
I love Jo Nesbo books. Have read all of the Harry Hole series and the stand alone ones too. Never a dull moment.
Dec 2015
9:44pm, 1 Dec 2015
19,863 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I haven't actually read it - I haven't just jokingly spoilered it have I? *rolls eyes at self*

Mind you, if people are going to visit this thread, they ought to have read the book.
Dec 2015
10:17pm, 1 Dec 2015
1,546 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
No you haven't spoiled it.

Although still superbly written, this book was a tale too far for Harry Hole. He really gets into James Bond territory and becomes a bit unbelievable. The bit with him preventing himself from drowning by using the air in an empty whisky bottle he just happened to have about his person - no - sorry - not going to happen. He should have stayed in Hong Kong.

That said its a great read if you can suspend your disbelief. I don't think I'd be giving too much away if I said that Harry does get his happy ending in the next book.

I loved "The Son" which followed on from Harry Hole. Struggled a bit with the "Blood on snow" series.

Oslo Police appear to have more than their fair share of mavericks though. If Anne Holt's pink Harley Davidson riding Hanne Wilhelmsen ever becomes Harry's boss the sparks will fly..
Dec 2015
1:11pm, 2 Dec 2015
2,439 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
Good post FR.

The attraction of Harry to me is his frailties on one hand but his stubborness on the other. I guess after 9 or 10 books into the series, plot lines and suspense devices are going to become more extreme. For me, I don't ever get the feeling that the scenario's that Harry gets involved in are overly unrealistic.

I too really enjoyed The Son. I did get quite confused at one point. As I was convinced that the manager of the drug hostel was the same lady as the manager of the Salvation Army centre that is featured in The Redeemer. I had to go back and check...............they are not related.

i have not read either of the Blood on Snow novels yet as I am waiting for the prices to drop on the Kindle store.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
If you have read Phantom by Jo Nesbo, why not share your thoughts here.

If you haven't read it, ...