PF foot pain. Advice please.

1 watcher
Oct 2011
9:30am, 29 Oct 2011
521 posts
  •  
SuperDave!
I know there are countless threads on this but I have some specific questions.

I had a severe back injury recently which had me limping quite a lot, during this period I developed a sore foot arch. Since ive been running again these last few months it's slowly getting worse but with a distinct pattern. I can run a steady 9-10 miles with no pain but as soon as I slow it down for my lsr I get severe arch stabbing pains from 6 miles in, it comes and goes over the next 10 or so miles but will remain lurking.

I can only think this is because my lsr means a more relaxed run style. I land midfoot normally but on my lsr I tend to be more relaxed and can mean landing on the outside of the foot.

Any tips and guidance most welcome.

I also do calf stretches and stuff every day. This helps a little but not enough by the looks of it.

Should I look to change shoes? More support? Less support? How much it the correct support? Arrrgh!
Oct 2011
9:42am, 29 Oct 2011
3,793 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hi Dave

sorry to hear you are suffering with PF pain, I cant offer any great advice on why its happening on your lsr but I would say go and get your running gain analyised (most decent sports shops offer the service, one with video gait may be best) they can then advise on what support you might need.

other than that a trip to they physio, if you have had a back injury which has maybe caused this problem they might know how to fix it? good luck
Oct 2011
9:49am, 29 Oct 2011
13,395 posts
  •  
Stumpy
sympathy, dave, but as you say yourself, it isn't the shoes, it's the way your gait changes when you run more slowly, or possibly your gait falls apart when you get tired.

i would suggest rather than changing shoes, you check out one of the running style threads on here and ask the same question there. they can probably advise some drills etc to get yourself back on track when you feel yourself tiring in a run.
Oct 2011
11:15am, 29 Oct 2011
522 posts
  •  
SuperDave!
Cheers. I have just arranged a biomechanics assessment for this afternoon, I'll see what he says hopefully he'll spot some obvious gait/form issue I can then address.
Oct 2011
12:14pm, 29 Oct 2011
172 posts
  •  
YorkshireLass
I saw a podiatrist when I had PF. My shoes were right, but I had really tight calves. As the calf muscle connects with the muscle running along the sole of the foot this was causing my PF. I now do calf stretches morning and night EVERY day, as well as before and after runs, and haven't (touching all the wood in the room) had a problem since.

For pain relief, rolling a bottle of frozen water under the arch of your foot is wonderful, and massages the affected area too.
Oct 2011
5:22pm, 29 Oct 2011
524 posts
  •  
SuperDave!
Biomechanics chap says shoulder drop, twisted pelvis and anterior tilt causing the odd gait. It makes sense actually.

Easy to fix apparently but bad news is the huge cost to rectify it. It's directly linked to my back injury though so might go to my GP to see if I can have a biomechanics referral.
Oct 2011
5:41pm, 29 Oct 2011
430 posts
  •  
Ian M
Bad posture is often the cause of bad gait/style. Strengthen and train yourself into good posture habits is half the battle...

Very good book - the running one... theartofrunning.com Probably both are but I haven't read the other one.

Question: what causes tight calves?
Oct 2011
6:07pm, 29 Oct 2011
525 posts
  •  
SuperDave!
I worked on (and still do) my core excercises regularly and its worked well. Not sure they'll reallign my pelvis though i need to speak to my physio.

In answer to the tight calves question, id say "under-used" calves would cause tight calves. Is that about right?
Oct 2011
6:15pm, 29 Oct 2011
431 posts
  •  
Ian M
SD, strength should help you to hold good posture but also good posture is something that can be learned then practiced and that you get better at. We train ourselves into bad posture habits all the time, we just don't realise it. Stooping forwards sticking bum out and standing with locked knees for example certainly doesn't help the lower back or the legs.

Like with most things though, one ache or pain or tight area doesn't mean it is simply one causal actor involved - it's usually more than one, even several. A major cause of tight calves (in runners) is actually over use. People tend to think that they need to keep the heel off the ground and that causes a lot of problems. A major major problem is when people are told that they are landing on their heels and they try to then land on the forefoot without realising that they should fix their posture. The result is landing with pointed toes and overloading calf muscles while still having bad posture that still causes the other issues. So yes, it just adds to the problems rather than fixes anything.
Oct 2011
6:16pm, 29 Oct 2011
432 posts
  •  
Ian M
Causal factor I meant :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I know there are countless threads on this but I have some specific questions.

I had a severe bac...