Peroneal tendon pain

1 watcher
Nov 2013
10:02pm, 14 Nov 2013
1,450 posts
  •  
Carpathius
A niggle which I've felt on my last few runs decided to become properly painful after 8 miles this morning. The pain is in the outside edge of my foot about halfway along the outside of the fifth metatarsal. The peroneal tendon area (below the ankle bone to the outside and slightly forward) hurts when I press it. The pain is there all the time. not just when I'm running (actually hurts more now than it did earlier).

I've self-diagnosed peroneal tendonitis or injury.

Anyone else had this? How did you fix it, how long did it take, and did you keep running?

Thanks in advance!
Nov 2013
10:43pm, 14 Nov 2013
328 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I had peroneal tendonitis back in Jan, diagnosed by my friendly fizz.

Fixed it by mostly not running! Swimming and aqua-jogging to maintain fitness then simple foot exercises (toe scrunching, picking up small items with my toes etc)

It hurt while walking, at work etc.

Low impact circuits/core work was fine but not bouncy things like star jumps or things that stretched the foot, so no planking.
Took about 8 weeks til I was running pain free.

One thing you need to be sure of, is it the foot that's damaged or is it due to damage further up within the calf muscle.

Having slightly flat feet doesn't help either.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
A niggle which I've felt on my last few runs decided to become properly painful after 8 miles this ...