Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Periosteal reaction

1 watcher
Nov 2011
3:49pm, 9 Nov 2011
4173 posts
richmac (40 in 40)
So on top of another (it was there all along) stress fracture I also have a Periosteal reaction gioing on on the site of the last fracture. So apart from the un helpful A & E doc telling me I had it I've little idea about WTF it is, t'internet doesn't seem to know either.
Nov 2011
3:52pm, 9 Nov 2011
18185 posts
Velociraptor
It's a normal response of the layer of tissue overlying the bone to something being wrong, and it's one of the reasons why stress fractures are painful but also plays a part in the healing process. It's not really a separate issue, the doc was just being clever about what was visible on the x-ray :)
Nov 2011
3:57pm, 9 Nov 2011
9937 posts
HellsBells
what V'rap says - it's a sign of increased blood flow to the area, which means healing
Nov 2011
3:58pm, 9 Nov 2011
4174 posts
richmac (40 in 40)
Thanks V-rap thats really helpfull. I was worried that all the core work, sit ups, planking and exercise bike malarky I've been doing while injured had caused it and it was a very bad thing. Some times wish things would be explained on a level between deeply patronising and not jargonise :-)

thanks again :-)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by richmachristmas
So on top of another (it was there all along) stress fracture I also have a Periosteal reaction gioi...