Periosteal reaction

1 watcher
Nov 2011
3:49pm, 9 Nov 2011
4173 posts
  •  
richmac (40 in 40)
So on top of another (it was there all along) stress fracture I also have a Periosteal reaction gioing on on the site of the last fracture. So apart from the un helpful A & E doc telling me I had it I've little idea about WTF it is, t'internet doesn't seem to know either.
Nov 2011
3:52pm, 9 Nov 2011
18185 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's a normal response of the layer of tissue overlying the bone to something being wrong, and it's one of the reasons why stress fractures are painful but also plays a part in the healing process. It's not really a separate issue, the doc was just being clever about what was visible on the x-ray :)
Nov 2011
3:57pm, 9 Nov 2011
9937 posts
  •  
HellsBells
what V'rap says - it's a sign of increased blood flow to the area, which means healing
Nov 2011
3:58pm, 9 Nov 2011
4174 posts
  •  
richmac (40 in 40)
Thanks V-rap thats really helpfull. I was worried that all the core work, sit ups, planking and exercise bike malarky I've been doing while injured had caused it and it was a very bad thing. Some times wish things would be explained on a level between deeply patronising and not jargonise :-)

thanks again :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by richmac
So on top of another (it was there all along) stress fracture I also have a Periosteal reaction gioi...