Periods periods periods... And sport

16 watchers
Mar 2019
4:58pm, 5 Mar 2019
45,494 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
Lol, the more men who realise women are people with hormonal issues which shouldn’t be sniggered at, the better in my book.
Mar 2019
5:01pm, 5 Mar 2019
6,051 posts
  •  
sallykate
WL I also used to have very painful periods - to the point of taking time off work sometimes - but not since giving birth or coming off the pill (had to switch to a coil due to migraine). I've always been able to tell when I'm ovulating, it's called mittelschmerz ("middle pain") and can be quite bad for me.
Mar 2019
5:03pm, 5 Mar 2019
4,710 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
Well, I wonder how I tell the difference between perimenopause and just fucking awful cycles. They're unbelievably regular, which made me think it was a post-birth thing rather than a pre-menopause thing. That's the joy of being a geriatric mother.

I have two weeks of VERY painful boobs. And a period every 27-28 days. Joy!
Mar 2019
5:07pm, 5 Mar 2019
45,495 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
Well at least you won’t be going through perimenopause when your kids are going through adolescence, small mercies :)
I’ve found the family planning nurse helpful with period stuff if you have one, it’s probably a nice change for them from doing smears :)
Mar 2019
10:44am, 6 Mar 2019
30,617 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol V'rap. Oh, I'm already up 5 times in the night going to the loo. Not a grumbling prostate, just being a runner and drinking water all day, plus a caffeine addict!

The Menopause thread was really useful in my suggesting to my wife to see the doc to ask about hormone treatment. She is suffering terrible hot flushes and other symptoms, but she thought it was going away and her instinct is always just to soldier through it. It's miserable. Hoping she'll make the appointment and they can help her.

Thanks for allowing me to hang about! :-) G
Jun 2021
9:03pm, 15 Jun 2021
899 posts
  •  
Tazsedai
Daughter (10) is pre-pubescent. Is there anything she can do to keep swimming if she starts her periods soon other than tampons/mooncup? I can't see her using either at the moment..
Jun 2021
9:18pm, 15 Jun 2021
7,827 posts
  •  
The Great Raemondo
Hormonal birth control can stop them, probably best to talk to your GP - and if they tell you that there's any sort of inherent issue with not bleeding every month then find another GP, because that's some very out of date BS.
Jun 2021
9:23pm, 15 Jun 2021
21,878 posts
  •  
Meglet
I’ve seen adverts for period swimwear, like they period pants. Sounds worth a try.
Jun 2021
9:43pm, 15 Jun 2021
7,829 posts
  •  
The Great Raemondo
Actually, now I'm reminded this thread exists - anyone use a period tracking app that specifically focuses on the impact menstruation on training?

Elsewhere folks have recommended Clue, but it seems to have very limited training specific tracking and ideally I'd want to plot things like perceived effort and actual performance against point in cycle.
Jun 2021
10:56pm, 15 Jun 2021
87 posts
  •  
JenHB
Just come across this thread - I've got the garmin app on my phone and use that for monitoring my period. Whether the web version lets you do more I don't know...

About This Thread

Maintained by
To make Fleeecy happy bit also because we need to talk about it.

Personally I find the week befor...