Penallta Parkrun?? (Anyone from Caerphilly area?)

3 watchers
Jun 2014
10:25pm, 19 Jun 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
jacquelyn
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a parkrun in Penallta park near Caerphilly? I saw something going on last week and it didn't occur to me that it might be a parkrun (wish i'd asked someone now). Would be fab if there is - it's on my doorstep.

Thanks
Jun 2014
10:28pm, 19 Jun 2014
14,505 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Nearest one I know of is in Ponty.
Jun 2014
10:41pm, 19 Jun 2014
3,660 posts
  •  
WildeRover
As far as I know they haven't launched one yet, but it has been in the 'planning stage' for over a year.

They announced it as "coming soon" last year at the Caerphilly 10k, but then nothing happened. By the sounds of it the council were swinging between trying to fully organise it themselves without involving Islwyn. Then when it was pointed out to them that it would probably work better if they involved Islwyn they switched to trying to get Islwyn wholly responsible.

It sounded like earlier this year there was some degree of co-operation possibly on the horizon, but the 'domestic' arrangements were proving challenging.

Parc Penallta doesn't have any loos or any coffee shop nearby. Originally the new visitor centre was going to take care of both of these things, along with parking, but that development was put on hold as part of the funding cuts. Next plan was to use the lobby of the Council HQ. There is lock-off security between the lobby and the main building with toilets and some refreshment facilities. There is also access to the very SE corner of the park on Route 47.

I hadn't heard anything about this advancing closer towards actually happening, but things could be developing.

Apart from that, there is still Ponty and Ponty (pool and pridd) Bryn Bach, Cardiff and Newport. Meanwhile Monmouth does look like it is as not too far off.

I will check the latest when I see people at Newport on Saturday (I know people who will know)
Jun 2014
10:51pm, 19 Jun 2014
3,661 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Just checked, it was the Islwyn Running Club leg of the Gwent Leisure Centre League in Parc Penallta on Tuesday night. So it was probably this that you saw.
Jul 2016
10:52am, 21 Jul 2016
17,445 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
For anyone interested (and you probably know already), Penallta is now in full swing :-)
Jul 2016
7:42pm, 25 Jul 2016
3,902 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Interesting timing for Fetch to 'poke' this thread. It was the GLCL in Parc Penallta last Tuesday again.

Yes the parkrun has been going for over a year. Mostly gently uphill first mile. Flat middle mile. Gentle downhill finish.

Predominantly an out and back, with a couple of embellishments. Nearly all asphalt, with one gravel path section.

And it is basically operated by Islwyn Running Club.

Slightly odd business park/office car park parking - with one of the offices opening their foyer to allow access to toilets.

No cafe! (Shock horror)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a parkrun in Penallta park near Caerphilly? I saw something goin...