Pedicure before a race

1 watcher
Apr 2015
10:00pm, 22 Apr 2015
7,551 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Recently, I've been having some problems with blisters. Never had issues with them before (and I know it's not the shoes, socks etc., as not changed them in a while apart from new pairs of the same model) - my feeling is that they're to do with hard skin.

Which is why I thought it might be a good idea to have a pedicure before my next long race to get rid of the hard skin properly, and maybe give the feet a wee pummeling to loosen them up.

I've never had a pedicure before. Would it be a good idea or totally daft to have one before a long race? Anything to watch out for when booking one?

Thanks!
Apr 2015
10:07pm, 22 Apr 2015
1,023 posts
  •  
lady alton
DIY? I use a electric scholl thing and cream my feet regularly to keep the rough skin at bay. Good book is Fixing your Feet, lots of tips about this sort of thing
Apr 2015
10:07pm, 22 Apr 2015
3,687 posts
  •  
Winded
I know nothing of pedicures, but surely a build up of hard skin is your body defending against punishment from being on your feet. Why would you want to get rid of the protective layer you have built on your feet?
Apr 2015
10:08pm, 22 Apr 2015
30,972 posts
  •  
Foxy
I did mine Monday with some clippers & pliers to rip off my little toe nail - don't like to leave it too late.
Apr 2015
10:13pm, 22 Apr 2015
4,440 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Pedi egg from Boots does the job.

Hard skin more likely to blister than soft I believe.
Apr 2015
10:15pm, 22 Apr 2015
7,552 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I've been doing DIY on the hard skin, but it seems more resistant lately - last time I ran an ultra, I had no problems with blisters, but now, I get blisters even after 10 miles...
Apr 2015
10:22pm, 22 Apr 2015
5,621 posts
  •  
Duchess
I ended up having to pay for chirpopdy treatment a few years back to get rid of the hard skin that had built up on my soles (bad habit of walking around barefoot) and was causing a wart to grow back into my flesh. At the time, he told me that I was likely to have blisters develop under the hard skin rather than on the surface as any friction would exist there. I didn't quite believe him, but I proved it to myself a few months later. And it bloody hurt!

You're probably as well to have a DIY job a la TMW (NOT a la Foxy!) than a salon treatment but is be inclined to have it a week or two before a race to get used to the feeling/effects.
Apr 2015
10:26pm, 22 Apr 2015
7,553 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Ouch, Duchess, that sounds sore!

I cut off the bulk of my hard skin once a week or so as it builds up so quickly, so would have to be nearer race day.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
Recently, I've been having some problems with blisters. Never had issues with them before (and I kn...