Pedals

5 watchers
Aug 2011
10:09am, 11 Aug 2011
320 posts
  •  
miss lippy
Yeah HP you use bike shoes and running shoes for tri's but when i started i just used running shoes for both too until i felt confident enough on the bike to be clipped in
Aug 2011
10:15am, 11 Aug 2011
9,725 posts
  •  
halfpint
I'm guessig over the distances I'm doing at mo any advantage I got from being clipped in I'd lose in transition changing shoes again anyway :) I need to work on my transition skills methinks.
Aug 2011
10:19am, 11 Aug 2011
28 posts
  •  
Covbaldy
So will any bike shoes work with those Shimano A530 SPD's? I take it you get the pedals and the cleats? Are there tri shoes that go woth these or does it not matter which ones?
Aug 2011
10:21am, 11 Aug 2011
321 posts
  •  
miss lippy
:) when i first started being clipped in my times dropped as i was too flamin' cautious being anxious at being attached to the bike! yip, slick transitions is like free time (although mine in keswick tri this year were ridiculously long because it was freezing and raining so i spent ages getting my arm warmers on etc...)
Aug 2011
10:23am, 11 Aug 2011
14,981 posts
  •  
hammerite
The important thing with buying shoes is that the bolt pattern under the shoe matches with the cleat/pedal you have. Look/Time/SPDSL use a three bolt triangle pattern. Speedplay uses a four bolt square pattern. And SPD uses a two bolt/slit type pattern.

These shoes can take all bar Speedplay wiggle.co.uk
These only a 3 bolt pattern - wiggle.co.uk
These SPD only - wiggle.co.uk

Covbaldy - tri shoes are full on cycling shoes. The only differences are that they're usually quicker to get on and off (one strap), they have loops which make them easier to attach to your bike and keep upright if you do a flying mount/dismount, they have more ventilation and ability to dry out as a result.
They're also not very good in the winter as the ventilation/drainage works in reverse and can keep you cold and wet! Everything else about them is the same as a cycling shoe.
Aug 2011
10:25am, 11 Aug 2011
14,982 posts
  •  
hammerite
SPD are primarily for off road riding, however, can be useful in triathlon as the shoes can be walked on easier as the cleat is smaller and usually recessed.

All the others have fairly hefty cleats so can make it difficult to walk on them.
Aug 2011
10:26am, 11 Aug 2011
50,659 posts
  •  
GregP
(this is doubly true for Speedplay)
Aug 2011
10:29am, 11 Aug 2011
14,983 posts
  •  
hammerite
I should add that the hefty cleat, usually adds to a fair sized pedal, which gives the ability to put the power down.

I use Look Keo for road riding/racing. SPD for off road and winter road riding (mainly due to having a spare pair of SPD shoes and pedals which live on the winter bike).
Aug 2011
10:33am, 11 Aug 2011
9,726 posts
  •  
halfpint
Hmmm!! So many things to spend money on :) I had to laugh when hammerite mentioned flying mount/dismount - my first tri I had practised mounting/dismounting on the move but fell to pieces on the night and did a dead stop, swear, dismount :) I won't complicate things more with clipless pedals :)
Aug 2011
10:36am, 11 Aug 2011
14,985 posts
  •  
hammerite
I used to do cracking flying mounts and dismounts. Now I'm too worried about knackering something (me or the bike) and looking a tit in front of people, so I only do a flying mount. If I still rode with SPDs I'd do flying dismounts still too, I have to do them quite a bit in CX racing and it's pretty easy.

About This Thread

Maintained by Cavey
I currently have your standard / normal pedals on my bike. The ones that allow you to freely step on...