PB target and how to hit it

26 watchers
Jul 2013
4:19pm, 13 Jul 2013
936 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
At the end of the day it was what it was... And it was a massive PB. What ifs don't matter. Be happy. Bank the feeling. Move on :-)
Jul 2013
4:53pm, 13 Jul 2013
485 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Cracking PB RevB well done :)

Can I add my twopence worth as another recreational runner, a relative newbie, and an even older runner?

I have read this thread with interest but frankly most of it has just gone *whoosh* straight over my head! I just go out and run, a little bit further or longer each time - simple as that! I do aim to get a PB in each race I do - if it happens it happens but if it doesn't I try not to beat myself up too much about it. With 9 parkrun PBs, 3 10k PBs and a 27min HM PB this year alone I must be doing something right? :)
Jul 2013
5:08pm, 13 Jul 2013
293 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Indeed you must, DQ. And thank you for that.

I sometimes feel I have two runners in my head. There's the ueber competitive one who wants to shave off every second, and is devastated to discover that a slower runner actually has a higher age-graded score than her.... she's the one who started this thread, and she's the one who seeks justification (excuses? absolution?) for not quite getting under 31 minutes.

And there's the other one, who wants it to be comfortable, and whines internally when someone urges her to go faster or harder.

These two are at war within me... and TH saw them both today :)
Jul 2013
5:44pm, 13 Jul 2013
16,425 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Fun has to be #1 priority. If you don't enjoy it what's the point?
Jul 2013
5:44pm, 13 Jul 2013
694 posts
  •  
Canute
The wonderful change in distance running over the past five decades is the way in which it has become a sport for all – from a challenge for wiry, tough-minded competitors to a sport for people with many different aspirations. As Barbara describes, sometimes the different aspirations can jostle for place within an individual. My most delightful run this year was one of the slowest – with delightful company on a sunny but windy day in the Derbyshire Dales. But I am also dedicated to setting the clock back six years with a HM target that amounts to an 8 minute improvement relative to the decline that WAVA predicts for me. The challenge to meet that target is more likely to bring frustration than glory, but either way I will celebrate the effort.
Jul 2013
5:55pm, 13 Jul 2013
16,426 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
It's all about the journey. :)

Success or failure in two weeks it's been an amazing adventure. From the snowy North York Moors to the blistering hot Milton Keynes. The stunningly beautiful Buttermere Round and Highland Fling to the regular training runs around the local Industrial Estate.

But best of all is the people I've met on the way.
Jul 2013
6:45pm, 13 Jul 2013
487 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Absolutely FenlandRunner. I have efriended such lovely people since I took up running. I also take great delight in noting the number of runners finishing behind me that are young enough to be my children and the knowledge that most people my age are looking forward to retirement and a weekly bingo session being the highlight of their week, whereas I am planning on doing a marathon before I am 60 and then possibly even an ultra!!
Jul 2013
6:46pm, 13 Jul 2013
488 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
*befriended*
Jul 2013
8:30pm, 13 Jul 2013
295 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Surely, efriending is what you do in Fetchland?
Jun 2019
4:20pm, 14 Jun 2019
12,787 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Bouncing (rather than renouncing ;) )

boing

- actually, there were some good points made on this thread :)

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
OK - started running regularly at the beginning of April. Ran a 10K trail race mid-May, finishing i...