Passwords

4 watchers
Apr 2014
9:54pm, 9 Apr 2014
3,726 posts
  •  
Kieren
Given the news for the last couple of days, today is probably as good a time as any to review / update your passwords.

Perhaps the most important is your email as that's where all the password reset links go so once they have that, it's potentially game over. Gmail (and Facebook) offers 2-factor authentication which is a good idea

Mine were all strong but variations of the same base password. I'm now completing the exciting task of updating my passwords.

Are your passwords due a refresh? Are they strong & long?
Apr 2014
9:57pm, 9 Apr 2014
26,878 posts
  •  
JenL
Er...what WAS "the news for the last couple of days"?
Apr 2014
9:59pm, 9 Apr 2014
10,238 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
News is you need to consider changing your passwords
Apr 2014
9:59pm, 9 Apr 2014
10,239 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
bbc.co.uk
Apr 2014
10:00pm, 9 Apr 2014
7,769 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
bbc.co.uk

However, in that article...
A researcher at the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory said it would be an overreaction to say everyone should drop what they are doing to reset all their passwords, but that those concerned should still act.Security companies have developed tests that can reveal if a service remains vulnerable to the flaw
"I think there is a low to medium risk that any given password has been compromised," said Dr Steven Murdoch.

So, mild panic only seems to be in order
Apr 2014
10:01pm, 9 Apr 2014
10,240 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
I'm usually in a mild panic so everything's as normal
Apr 2014
10:09pm, 9 Apr 2014
3,727 posts
  •  
Kieren
Essentially a security loophole that means encrypted data can potentially be read in plain text on vulnerable web servers.

The exploit has been available for 2 years - there is a massive push to get it fixed now.

Son of, yah - agreed. However, I needed to change my passwords for a long time - especially email.

It only affects a specific version of openssl so older / newer versions are not affected. I would expect everyone to be patched tomorrow.

BBC
bbc.co.uk

The Register (better explanation than the beeb - a a tech news blog)
theregister.co.uk

Forbes
forbes.com

Wundelist
wunderlist.com

1Password
blog.agilebits.com
Apr 2014
10:11pm, 9 Apr 2014
1,910 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I have changed my hotmail and PayPal passwords.

They needed to be updated (were 2+ years old!) so seeing this on the BBC earlier was a useful reminder.
Apr 2014
10:43pm, 9 Apr 2014
13,139 posts
  •  
Tiggia
I've just started using Lastpass. Need to update the lot and need help doing it!
Apr 2014
11:14pm, 9 Apr 2014
3,728 posts
  •  
Kieren
I just started using 1password - a bit expensive but is currently 50% off (although still expensive)

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
Given the news for the last couple of days, today is probably as good a time as any to review / upda...