parkrun thread

3 lurkers | 488 watchers
Mar 2021
3:15pm, 2 Mar 2021
2,242 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Sorry - correction - I've just reread the parkrun statement and there is no explicit attempt at an argument for 'during Step 3'. Just a claim that they have determined that to be the appropriate time.

Point about choice of date during the Step 3/Step 4 phase remains.
jda
Mar 2021
4:00pm, 2 Mar 2021
9,553 posts
  •  
jda
Based on Mancock's latest it seems that all this debate over start dates may be somewhat overtaken by events anyway, as I said a while back...

Though there is still plenty of time for it to swing the other way too - eg the emergence of a new vaccine-resistant variant, which seems largely theoretical at present....

I do look forward to the restart whenever it (safely and appropriately) occurs. I might even be at the first.
Mar 2021
4:48pm, 2 Mar 2021
13,649 posts
  •  
larkim
I think TW basically said that from 29th March parkrun becomes allowable under the roadmap. I guess they are saying parkrun fits the definition of "formal organised outdoor sports" in the govts "Outdoor sports facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, and open-air swimming pools, will also be allowed to reopen, and people will be able to take part in formally organised outdoor sports" from gov.uk

That also fits with EA's "formal organised outdoor athletics & running activity that is Covid-secure can take place for both children and adults" on englandathletics.org

So June 21st is a red herring in the parkrun HQ mindset.

I guess that's why it matters that parkrun HQ assert / believe / have approval for their framework being Covid-secure.

We could argue whether parkrun is "formal", but it is "organised ... running activity".
jda
Mar 2021
4:51pm, 2 Mar 2021
9,555 posts
  •  
jda
Covid-secure has always been the issue, as it was back last year when they previously planned a restart.
Mar 2021
4:55pm, 2 Mar 2021
13,650 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes and no - if they had chosen 22nd June as a start date, covid secure would be irrelevant, wouldn't it? Steps 1 - 3 in the EA guidance require Covid security; step 4 doesn't.
Mar 2021
5:14pm, 2 Mar 2021
880 posts
  •  
BK brighter days ahead
To remain ‘Covid secure’ our regular Sunday event was advised that we had to have staggered starts, all participants completed health questionnaire and no places where participants would congregate closer than 2m from each other ( unless in a same household group ). I expect that once approval is given from the land owner we will resume under those conditions until all social distancing restrictions are lifted.
Mar 2021
6:34pm, 2 Mar 2021
13,651 posts
  •  
larkim
It's that a junior parkrun BK? There are different ways to skin the covid secure cat, so whilst all of those measures are valid (and a few of them are exactly the sorts of measures that some are criticising parkrun for not including in their framework) there's nothing that says any one is mandatory. Though I suppose it's up to a landowner to put conditions on the use of their land.
Mar 2021
6:44pm, 2 Mar 2021
881 posts
  •  
BK brighter days ahead
Larkim - it is a club event ( not PR connected although a PR event uses public paths and facilities managed by same land owner we use an area not open to the general public at time of our event ). Guidance given by EA, Run Together and the venue.
Mar 2021
9:29pm, 4 Mar 2021
18,726 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Beeston parkrun is through to the final of the With Me Now podcast World Cup of parkrun cafes. Voting starts tomorrow at 11.15 on the With Me Now website facebook.com

I'll put up a link in the morning when it is available. We are against Ireland's Bere Island parkrun. Think of it as a vote for the home of parkrun. More seriously anyone who has been to the Boathouse Cafe will know what a great place it is with a wonderful owner, who does a lot for the community as well as parkrun.

In other news With Me Now did a live podcast from Wollaton parkrun in Nottingham, home of Batman's house in the Dark Knight and many races including the last National XC in 2020. If you wish to see what the park looks like and listen to two Beeston AC runners Gaby and Charlie, it is at facebook.com
Mar 2021
1:29pm, 7 Mar 2021
943 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Reported in Sunday Times sports section today, may be good news for parkrun? Despite group hugs, scrums, tackles, goal celebrations etc.

thetimes.co.uk

“Not a single case of on-the-field transmission of the Covid-19 virus has been confirmed in football, rugby union, rugby league or American football during a full year of the pandemic, medical experts have revealed.

Detailed tracing of players who have tested positive for the virus has been carried out in all the sports but in every case the transmission was put down to off-the-field contact, such as in meeting rooms, cars and indoor activities.“

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.