•  
Lip Gloss
Good idea about a total newbie take over though
Sep 2019
6:26pm, 18 Sep 2019
1,031 posts
  •  
edison
I have a load of experienced volunteers on standby, of course. I neglected to tell people that though when I announced the idea. I have an idea to do a jokey article about awarding new milestone shirts with the number 0 on them for people yet to volunteer, and "we know who you all are". But I do appreciate there are folk who maybe do loads of voluntary work every day and for whom parkrun is a release. I'm trying to keep it all fun.
Sep 2019
7:17pm, 18 Sep 2019
4,827 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
In the early days we ran Inverness with a minimum of three non running volunteers. RD doubling as funnel manager, one timer, one token handerouterer. A fast finisher on scanning (RD could do the first few) and no need for marshals given the open lapped course.

I was RD again for the first time in over 3 years Saturday. Wasn't sure what to do with the crowd of volunteers who turned up.
Sep 2019
3:55pm, 19 Sep 2019
429 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Going back a few pages. JJJ - I believe you have completely misunderstood my post. I make no reference to any one turning up to volunteer on a Saturday or volunteers being turned away because the roster is full but only that there are events that seem to have an excessive number ( as per the weekly roster ) for roles that may be OTT for a ‘run’ and more akin to a club race. However on your point about providing a role for any who turn up on Saturday morning wanting to volunteer, this could potentially lead to the roster continuing to be populated with those additional marshals or other role and it gradually becomes the norm. I doubt that anyone would be offended if they were thanked for offering but advised that the event had sufficient to go ahead that week and they would be welcome to put their name down for a future date.
Sep 2019
4:28pm, 19 Sep 2019
35,904 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
That's my thinking too Bex so can't understand why people would have a 'sod it' attitude if you were thanked but politely told no.
Sep 2019
4:38pm, 19 Sep 2019
430 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Of course the other option being that they take over someones role to enable that person to run.
Sep 2019
4:40pm, 19 Sep 2019
8,710 posts
  •  
larkim
I suppose it's possible it's the downside of the volunteer t-shirt influence. In the absence of a t-shirt "reward" I might turn up on a Saturday with family who are running, and ask the RD if they needed any help. If they said "thanks for the offer, but we've got a full turnout", I'd just wander onto the course somewhere and do some cheering / take photos, or perhaps sidle up to a marshall and have a natter.

But if I'm earerly trying to get to 25 volunteer credits to get a t-shirt, and I've turned up hoping to be able to earn a credit, I might be less impressed when that "opportunity" is taken away from me.

(When I say "I" in that, I don't actually mean me - chasing the 25 t-shirt holds no interest at all, but some do chase the numbers)
Sep 2019
4:40pm, 19 Sep 2019
32,424 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've turned up and been told "No thanks, all positions covered thanks." And happily just cheered people on, or jogged round if I could. I understand that I could have volunteered via the website, or the email or anything else, and the fact that I just rocked up on a Sat morn on spec is my lookout. Should have committed earlier!

I do often turn up on spec, partly cos I'm too lazy to commit, but partly because I think that some of my locals are sometimes a bit tight for volunteers so an extra marshal or scanner is sometimes welcome. :-) G
Sep 2019
4:42pm, 19 Sep 2019
216 posts
  •  
Weath
"can't understand why people would have a 'sod it' attitude if you were thanked but politely told no. "

Because when certain events are struggling on a regular basis to cover key roles, then making people feel that they're not welcome on the odd occasion they have managed to fill a weekend roster is akin to shooting yourself in the foot long-term.

My home run is probably one of those that is awash with yellow vests as we never turn any volunteer away. Coincidently we have never had to consider cancelling due to lack of bodies either.
Sep 2019
4:52pm, 19 Sep 2019
431 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Larkim - thankfully I have not witnessed any one getting into a strop in pre T Shirt or V25 days because they were not allocated a volunteer role if one was not needed - most, like you would then support or check out what the roles involved and then volunteer on another occasion. There have been several people appear at our 'local' recently in such a situation who now volunteer quite regularly.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.