parkrun thread

488 watchers
Sep 2019
11:07am, 16 Sep 2019
6,441 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I once suggested vests instead of the ubiquitous and unimaginative TShirt as a race memento for our 20 mile race. I got a remarkably hostile response from the Fetchforks and in person. Apparently I am the only person who wears a running vest for *every* run from May to September at the very least. People seem to be remarkably coy as to why not but one reason seems to be an aversion to a bit of weight training whilst simultaneously not liking the appearance of their upper arms.
Sep 2019
11:10am, 16 Sep 2019
18,838 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'd suggest that a little body-image issue comes into it in my case, yes.
Sep 2019
11:11am, 16 Sep 2019
4,851 posts
  •  
minardi
I'd much rather have a vest than a T - Ts tend to come up too high around my neck and make me feel hot and strangled.
Sep 2019
11:20am, 16 Sep 2019
11,341 posts
  •  
Badger
Personally, I've gone off vests a bit since I popped my right ACJ, so the collarbone on that side sticks up a lot, and I am a bit self conscious about that. Doesn't stop me wearing them in warm weather, especially for races where I don't need a pack.

But my recollection of the discussion of that here, Saint, was a majority view of "not everyone wears vests but everyone wears tshirts at some point in the year," which didn't strike me as particularly hostile.
Sep 2019
11:58am, 16 Sep 2019
16,757 posts
  •  
Chrisity
I wear vests all year round, but with an appropriately sleeved garment underneath in winter. Thus my Beeston parkrun vest can always be worn when touristing. I have a hi-vis one to wear at night. Much more versatile than t-shirts, although the only one i got from a race went right out of shape after half a dozen washes (shame on you Loughborough 10k)
Sep 2019
12:01pm, 16 Sep 2019
56,940 posts
  •  
swittle
Years ago, finishers got a durable vest at the end of the Formby Trail Race, courtesy of sponsors, Marie Curie. The vest serves as a layer in cooler seasons.
Sep 2019
12:13pm, 16 Sep 2019
8,673 posts
  •  
larkim
No-one deserves to see my pasty, wobbly arms. I only wear a club vest without a t-shirt underneath when I'll clearly overheat if I don't just go for the one layer (which to be fair is most of the time, so most club races I am vest only). Definitely self consiousness, but also no need - no matter what the weather, a t-shirt feels as cool as a vest to me as it is my torso which gets hot, not the tops of my arms.
Sep 2019
12:22pm, 16 Sep 2019
43,156 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have no strong feelings on the matter beyond, "Nobody should feel obliged to wear a garment that they're not comfortable wearing, for any reason." Personally, I quite like a vest and I've never looked at someone in a running vest and thought, "Yuck, floppy arms."
Sep 2019
1:15pm, 16 Sep 2019
10,518 posts
  •  
MazH
I have V'rap, but only in a mirror
Sep 2019
1:51pm, 16 Sep 2019
6,442 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I suppose your take on something depends on whether you are the person suggesting it and how innocuous the subject matter seems to be.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.