•  
Snoot
Whinlatter for me too
Aug 2021
10:57am, 16 Aug 2021
5,322 posts
  •  
westmoors
Whinlatter is on my potential list for next month, along with Keswick and Workington. Bower Park will be the closest to where I will be staying but doesn't have any appeal being 5 laps and I already have a B for my alphabet (but not a K or W).
Aug 2021
11:10am, 16 Aug 2021
5,976 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Aviemore is my favourite for scenery. Run on a stretch of the Speyside Way with fantastic views over the Cairngorm National Park.
Aug 2021
11:16am, 16 Aug 2021
437 posts
  •  
AndyS
Whinlatter is absolutely stunning - well worth slowing down a bit to enjoy the scenery. I was recovering from injury when I visited, so was bringing up the rear with the tail walker. A wonderful lady who was as much tour guide ("We get ospreys nesting over there") as tail walker. Throughly recommended, especially if you like a bit of the old "Cumbria Flat"

Honourable mentions to the very leafy Sherwood Pines, the gorgeous costal Guernsey and the wonderful Alness (and its out-and-back along the pier into Cromarty Firth)

Aug 2021
11:20am, 16 Aug 2021
3,028 posts
  •  
Snoot
^^ not sure when Bower Park starts but can’t imagine laps of ‘spatri’ being as scenic as Whinlatter? (With apologies to residents! 😉 )
Aug 2021
11:21am, 16 Aug 2021
2,509 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Also not travelled much and not wishing to be deliberately contrary but....

My recollection of Whinlatter is of spending the overwhelming majority of the time looking 'in' to the forest rather than 'out' over some lovely but very fleeting views. I seem to recall the finish area also being somewhat hemmed in by the trees and, on the day I was there, more than a little midgey.

I know I'm biased as a member of the core team but, for more expansive scenery and wide open spaces by the finish, I've yet to better Fell Foot (bottom end of Windermere).

Going to Ganavan Sands, Oban, in a couple of weeks which promises some fantastic views/scenery. If I remember, I'll report back.
Aug 2021
11:44am, 16 Aug 2021
74,585 posts
  •  
Gobi
I guess it all depends on what you think scenery is
Aug 2021
12:06pm, 16 Aug 2021
739 posts
  •  
Weath
"I guess it all depends on what you think scenery is"

This in bucketloads.
Dunstable Downs looking out over the airfield below and the light aircraft landing/taking off on a cloudless morning.
Running across the bridge and out along the gorge at Severn Valley
The seaview at Sewerby
The trees at Wendover Woods

All beautiful in their own rights and good memories. That's why I love touristing, it gets me to places I'd otherwise never consider.
Aug 2021
12:23pm, 16 Aug 2021
5,978 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
This does it for me :)
Aug 2021
12:39pm, 16 Aug 2021
53,793 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Bower Park is in Aspatria and is five laps of the rugby club, so not one to pick for the scenery. It will be my local parkrun and we're doing the test run in a couple of weeks. I met the ED at Keswick last week and he says the route has had a nice new surface laid during lockdown, which helps.

(We must go for a non-parkrun run if you're staying hereabouts, westmoors.)

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
Fancy a light-hearted chat about your parkrun stories? First run, favourite parkrun, most beautiful parkrun, hardest course, craziest marshal, parkrun tourist on tour (i.e. how to get to Poland), parkrun family photos? Post them here.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.