Parkrun 1st place

4 watchers
duo
Apr 2018
1:58pm, 13 Apr 2018
392 posts
  •  
duo
Pulling the outfit off with a "whoosh" when you cross the line :)
Apr 2018
2:04pm, 13 Apr 2018
4,337 posts
  •  
larkim
I've done it once at a parkrun, and I can say the smug feeling is well worth it! Had to be fortunate with a low turnout and the speed demons (including one particular member of my family) staying away that day, but I hope you find the right time and place and get to enjoy holding barcode #1!
Apr 2018
2:07pm, 13 Apr 2018
48,177 posts
  •  
swittle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD2SBh7Kqgs
Apr 2018
2:09pm, 13 Apr 2018
8,454 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Some parkruns take place in prisons for inmates only. If you're that committed to the idea of winning then get yourself locked up and I'm sure you could beat the opposition at one of these events
Apr 2018
2:14pm, 13 Apr 2018
1,554 posts
  •  
Goofee
I'm never going to win a parkrun but once at a club handicap race I overtook all those who started ahead of me and kept ahead of the quick peeps for about 15 minutes, it was an awesome feeling, like I was being pushed forwards by all those behind me. Finished 'second' in the end. I'd love to experience it again...
Apr 2018
2:21pm, 13 Apr 2018
7,942 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Just do a small event on a day when there's a big local race on.

I was at a local parkrun recently where my son (who has run sub-20) finished 3rd having jogged round in a time approaching 26 minutes, the first finisher was 22 something, first lady 28 something.

Also remember doing Brandon parkrun a few years ago and the first lady was a tourist in her 60s, in a time over 29 minutes. Olympian Claire Hallissey has also been first there, so you just need to pick the right week.
Apr 2018
2:41pm, 13 Apr 2018
1,237 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Finished first in my age category (MV50) on a number of occasions and there's always a feeling of satisfaction when it happens. However, and as if to emphasise the 'depends who turns up on the day' factor - I finished third MV50 recently despite being eighth overall (in a small field - obviously).

I admit that I've considered going to Millom on a wet day to see if I could get close to the front but decided against it because (a) I'm actually not that competitive and (b) it's in Millom.

Best of luck finding a suitable event and achieving your goal.
Apr 2018
3:59pm, 13 Apr 2018
3 posts
  •  
JamesTrunner
Thanks folks. The Santa suit may be an idea on a Xmas Parkrun. I've tried a Parkrun when a 10k was scheduled the next day and some fellow Cardiff parkrunners turned up to the event and beat me into 4th. Obviously having the same idea as me. I certainly check out the weekly Parkrun stats to see where the lowest attendances are, but so far the Mrs hasn't fancied a holiday in a remote village in the highlands 😂
Apr 2018
4:08pm, 13 Apr 2018
12,528 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I've been 4th and still not won my age category! Bloody Male vet 49-49s grrrr.
Apr 2018
4:13pm, 13 Apr 2018
7,677 posts
  •  
becca7
Chrisull, I was third lady in a marathon and didn't win my age group. Female Vet 45-49 isn't any better. :)

About This Thread

Maintained by JamesTrunner
I want to talk about parkrun and my competitive streak. I'm not the best runner, and am strivi...